Not connected, Your IP: 18.116.40.177
manair

how many requests are too many ?

Hi,

You say here : airvpn.org/forums/topic/14737-api/
We limit requests in time-range for specific IP addresses if anyone runs too many requests to preserve availability of this service.

So, please tell me, how many requests is considered reasonable or excessive ?

With the same spirit, you say :
To fetch data about detected DNS in json format (replace [session] with a random hash (40 chars long) and [random] with random chars every request). Perform many request with same [session] and different [random] to populate.

Is the random hash is a hash of the [random] field or just 40 chars randomly chosen from the hexadecimal set of chars ?
And how long should be [random] field ?

Kind regards

53 minutes ago, manair said:

So, please tell me, how many requests is considered reasonable or excessive ?

Why, are you testing out the limits? :)
Reasonable would be a software using the API for all kinds of things where you need to enter your own API key. You'd login there, fetch your user status and the server list once and maybe keep the latter updated every minute or so. That'd be reasonable.

Unreasonable would be doing this every second – because there is no reason to update the server list or your account info on a secondly basis. That'd be excessive.

I'm sure rate-limiting the API is a mundane thing to implement, so I'd wager it's got some number/minute where your key would simply be locked out from doing requests for a short time if exceeded. That'd be more or less reasonable – the software might have a bug causing it to excessively request info. It's on the software to react to that.
Continuing this without reacting to the Rate limit exceeded message is unreasonable on the other hand. There's no reason apart from malevolence to do so.

1 hour ago, manair said:

Is the random hash is a hash of the [random] field or just 40 chars randomly chosen from the hexadecimal set of chars ?

40 random chars, [random] can be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,…

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Why, are you testing out the limits? :)

No.. 😅
I just retrieved about 20 different free API possible and want to know the load I can obtain for free or before switching to a paid API.

Reasonable would be a software using the API for all kinds of things where you need to enter your own API key. You'd login there, fetch your user status and the server list once and maybe keep the latter updated every minute or so. That'd be reasonable.

Actually the question was about the ipleak.net website, so : no login.
For the airvpn user API, they explicitly say that more than 600 per 10min will get you locked out. But for the ipleak website, that remains in the blur.
But I guess your estimate must be accurate : after all, it's a free service.

40 random chars, [random] can be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,…

So I guess any 40 chars chosen from the UTF-8 set and any int for the random field.

Thanks !