Not connected, Your IP: 3.143.4.181
stevewasabi69lol

Can I choose a network interface to NEVER be chosen?

My client has ZeroTier installed on a Dell Laptop running Win 11 pro/business, I only use ZT for remote desktop sessions.

But Eddie is choosing the ZT Network Interface, instead of the active Wifi interface, and it cannot make a connection.

. 2022.08.17 19:01:23 - Added new network interface "Eddie", Wintun version 0.12
. 2022.08.17 19:01:23 - Using WinTun network interface "Eddie (Eddie Tunnel)"
! 2022.08.17 19:01:23 - Connecting to Sargas (Canada, Toronto, Ontario)
. 2022.08.17 19:01:23 - Routes, add XXX.XXX.000.000/32 for interface "ZeroTier One [XXXXXXXXXXXXX] (ZeroTier Virtual Port)".
. 2022.08.17 19:01:23 - Routes, add XXX.XXX.000.000/32 for interface "ZeroTier One [XXXXXXXXXXXXX] (ZeroTier Virtual Port)", already exists.

I know I can go into Preferences and change the network interface to use, but I am not sure if I would need to do that every time I start up Eddie. Q1: does Eddie remember this preference?

I am also not sure if the wi-fi adapter in Win11 will change it's name / id / "whatever" in the future, so that would not be the chosen network interface anymore, and Eddie might fail to connect again, and confuse the computer operator.

I'm wondering if there is an entry I can put into the default.xml or default. profile settings file, to instruction Eddie to NEVER choose a particular interface, or if there is a trick to configuring ZeroTier in Win 11, or any network interface in Win 11, so the ZT network connection will never be listed as an available network interface for Eddie to automatically try to pick it. Q2: Any configuration for this scenario?

I appreciate any tips and advice, thanks in advance.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:59 PM, stevewasabi69lol said:

Q1: does Eddie remember this preference?

Sure, if it finds the designated interface upon launch, which it most probably will because it's a physical NIC.

I am also not sure if the wi-fi adapter in Win11 will change it's name / id / "whatever" in the future, so that would not be the chosen network interface anymore, and Eddie might fail to connect again, and confuse the computer operator.

Identification of NICs in Windows works with IDs, not their pretty names. These IDs remain the same throughout the lifetime of a NIC.

I'm wondering if there is an entry I can put into the default.xml or default. profile settings file, to instruction Eddie to NEVER choose a particular interface

No such thing exists, to my knowledge.

Maybe someone can answer you about the ZeroTier config thing. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.