Jump to content
Not connected, Your IP: 216.73.217.121
exie

Bonjour Service Crashes when Eddie Active

Recommended Posts

Hi All
I  remain very happy with Eddie v.2.21.6 running on a fully patched Win10 Ent system in a domestic environment.
I purchased a stand-alone scanner (Canon LiDE 400) which requires a USB3 connection. However, my partner wants to access this scanner over our LAN so I installed a USB sharing program, https://www.virtualhere.com/usb_client_software 
This program requires the Bonjour service to be running as part of its network sharing function.
However, I find that each time I activate Eddie the sharing app fails because the Bonjour service cannot start.

The Application Event Log records repetitive error events (100, 1000) (screen clip attached)
"Faulting application name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x55cbcce6
Faulting module name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x55cbcce6
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000437c3
Faulting process id: 0x2dd0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d883bf22e6fc14
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"

The System Log shows Error 7031 occurs every second (screen clip attached.)
These errors rapidly fill the event logs until I disconnect Eddie.
Any help welcome!
Regards
Exie
 

Screen Shot 06-20-22 at 10.11 AM.JPG

Screen Shot 06-20-22 at 10.09 AM.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

Well, after all these years, it is still not fixed by Apple. The issue has become so severe that it causes additional CPU usage and generating crash logs exactly every 500 ms. (Windows 11 Pro 25H2 (OS Build 26200.8655))

In just a few days, this can easily accumulate to millions of log entries and negatively impacting overall system performance.

Apple does not care is unlikely to investigate a Windows-specific Bonjour issue that only happens in combination with yet another third-party VPN.

I would appreciate it if the AirVPN team could take another look at this. Perhaps there is some low-hanging fruit or workaround that could mitigate the issue, even if the root cause ultimately lies within Bonjour itself.
 

As a temporary workaround, my AIgent wrote a script that disables the Bonjour service while the VPN is active. Unfortunately, this is quite inconvenient, as other software depends on Bonjour and stops working.

If there is any additional information, logging, or testing I can provide, I would be happy to help. Since the issue can be reproduced reliably, hopefully tracking down a solution will not be too time token-consuming.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Security Check
    Play CAPTCHA Audio
    Refresh Image

×
×
  • Create New...