Not connected, Your IP: 18.206.238.189
ProphetPX

I updated Eddie to latest 2.21.8 on Win10Home x64 and now i cannot connect - netsh error 1 every single time

6 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

I wrote that I think it was not standard, but also told you to contact professional support and keep using 2.20 in the meantime. What was the result of that?

In any case, I found the option --ip-win32 ipapi in the manpage. Setting this will not use netsh to set things. You could try that.

WHERE am i supposed to "Set that"????   "manpage" for WHAT, exactly??

see, this is what i mean.  you or others seem to expect me to know what i am doing.  and i do not.

where am i supposed to go with that?

1 minute ago, ProphetPX said:

see, this is what i mean.  you or others seem to expect me to know what i am doing.  and i do not.

I am sorry, but if you are yourself tweaking the registry to adminstratively disable certain features of your OS, the assumption that you know what you're doing is not far fetched, is it? I cannot seem to grasp how you're perfectly capable of getting to know how to disable DNS resolution in Windows (something I didn't know was even possible, so thanks, I guess), but you cannot bother to look into Eddie's settings to find the option you can paste the directive into.

All in all, I think you should enable DNS resolution and focus on hardening the resolution process, like using Network Lock in Eddie to not let Windows resolve things unencrypted, or look into using DNS-over-HTTPS or DNS-over-TLS.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

20 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

I wrote that I think it was not standard, but also told you to contact professional support and keep using 2.20 in the meantime. What was the result of that?

In any case, I found the option --ip-win32 ipapi in the manpage. Setting this will not use netsh to set things. You could try that.

ok i did some thinking .... more like guessing ....  and i added your command to my openvpn directives!!!!
i put it in the base openvpn directives as:   ip-win32 ipapi
I AM NOW CONNECTED using 2.21.8 (*the LATEST Eddie client!!!*) and IT ALL WORKS NOW!!!!
I did not even have to edit my registry to restore DNS Client and reboot.  i just thought about it a while and figured maybe you meant that as an openvpn parameter/directive, so that is where i put it and saved settings....

THIS PROBLEM IS NOW SOLVED!!!!
THANK YOU OPENSOURCERER!!!!!

7 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

I am sorry, but if you are yourself tweaking the registry to adminstratively disable certain features of your OS, the assumption that you know what you're doing is not far fetched, is it? I cannot seem to grasp how you're perfectly capable of getting to know how to disable DNS resolution in Windows (something I didn't know was even possible, so thanks, I guess), but you cannot bother to look into Eddie's settings to find the option you can paste the directive into.

All in all, I think you should enable DNS resolution and focus on hardening the resolution process, like using Network Lock in Eddie to not let Windows resolve things unencrypted, or look into using DNS-over-HTTPS or DNS-over-TLS.

just because i know how to disable DNS Client service in the windows registry,
does not mean i know a single thing about how IP and VPNs or Open VPN works....

anyone can google how to disable things in order to allow large host files to work without super long 10-minute boot lags (which is why i googled to find out how to disable DNS Client in the first place, because i like using Steven Black's host file updates on Github).  And the ONLY way to get those super long host files to work SMOOTHLY, is to disable DNS Client in windows registry.

i like learning things and learning how to work them.   AT THE SAME TIME that does not mean that i have learned all the ins and outs of how to use VPNS just yet.  i just wanted to get it to work.... before learning how.   Learning how can come later.   Getting something to work is more important first.

and thanks again.

7 hours ago, ProphetPX said:

And the ONLY way to get those super long host files to work SMOOTHLY, is to disable DNS Client in windows registry.

But how are you going to resolve the rest of the domain names if there is nothing resolving them? Or is my understanding of your setup off?

7 hours ago, ProphetPX said:

i just thought about it a while and figured maybe you meant that as an openvpn parameter/directive, so that is where i put it and saved settings....

That is what I wanted you to do. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.