Not connected, Your IP: 3.85.9.208
SeUbHS

Block app networking on android?

I was using netguard to block networking on an app by app basis, but it doesn't work with eddie since they both need VPN privileges. Is there an alternative way to accomplish this, preferably with a convenient GUI like netguard?

If I get you correctly you're searching for an app that blocks other apps to access the network completly?
Eddie has just a Whitelist/Blacklist feature for apps that should or should not be routed through the VPN.
I think Android also has a built-in VPN feature to block connections without VPN. Maybe you can have a look at it too.

I didn't get an email notification from this for some reason. I already have an app called netguard the blocks connections completely, but it can't work at the same time that eddie is activated since they both need VPN privileges. I don't see any built-in options on my android device to block connections. What you're describing sounds like it would need VPN privileges too though, which would run into the same issues I'm having with netguard I think.

I'd like to resurrect this thread. I've seen this to be a concern for many users.

The hability to use a real VPN (AirVPN) while using firewall apps such as NetGuard or Blokada. I'd love if AirVPN staff finds a workaround or develop an app that combines both Eddie and NetGuard features.

NetGuard uses the Android VPN function to block all (or some) internet transit form any given app. This is a must-have function if you are concerned about privacy and still want to use "normal" apps, since most apps don't really need internet access. However, almost all apps call for home all the time (and other nastier things). This is a major privacy flaw. Also, NetGuard can be useful to block heavy traffic using apps on mobile data to preserve data...

However, since Android only allows one VPN setting at the time, it's incompatible with AirVPN (with any vpn service).
I might aim for the moon, but one possible solution, with no compromise, is to integrate a NetGuard-like function into Eddie (to allow Eddie to block/allow internet connection for individual apps). This would be wonderful! Or if any skilled dev. is eager to find a solution, since both apps are opensource, an unofficial app could be created by "merging" Eddie and NetGuard, however, I guess it would have to be reviewed by AirVPN...

TBH, I don't need this feature. I use AFwall instead of NetGuard, but it needs root to modify iptables and most users can't (or shouldn't) have a rooted phone. Most users will benefit from such option.

About this:

On 5/19/2022 at 6:49 PM, Seebarschtian said:

If I get you correctly you're searching for an app that blocks other apps to access the network completly?
Eddie has just a Whitelist/Blacklist feature for apps that should or should not be routed through the VPN.
I think Android also has a built-in VPN feature to block connections without VPN. Maybe you can have a look at it too.

As you say, whitelist/blacklist is only to let app traffic go though AirVPN or not. It doesn't block their internet access.
About the "built-in VPN feature" it works. It's a workaround. But it's 0 convenient. Both Eddie's app management and Android's "block connections without VPN" aren't very user-friendly and adding-removing an app isn't straightforward. Also, it's not "easy" to check if it's working, and checks might have to be made regularly.

Please use the tools already at your disposal.

• Declare Eddie to be the Always-On VPN app in Android.
  • Enable Block all non-VPN traffic in Android.
  • Configure DNS block lists in your client area. You can choose to apply them to a certain key pair/device only, if you wish.
  • Choose this key pair/device in Eddie and connect, otherwise simply connect.
Does the same as Blokada. NetGuard users will lose the firewalling/IP block ability. Why bother, though, you're behind a VPN, anyway.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.