Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.249.42
GaryH

Eddie UI Encryption Indicator

Please add an indicator for the Upload and another for the Download to Eddies UI Window to indicate whether the packets are Encrypted or not.
I suggest green = packets are encrypted and red = packets are not encrypted.

Very valid question.
You must also know that there are no unencrypted OpenVPN connections with AirVPN, so such an indicator makes absolutely no sense. With that background I am wondering even more what exactly triggered your request.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

My PCs sit behind a firewall.
I would like to know that packets sent and received are encrypted and warn me if they are not.
They can say that packets are encrypted, but where is the proof ?
How does the end user know for a fact that packets are encrypted ?
If someone intercepts encrypted packets, then they are thieves that can be caught.

If you connect from your pc behind the firewall all internet traffic is encrypted. If you us network lock on the eddie client it will make sure that if the connection is disrupted that nothing leaks out.

Unless "they" have the keys to unencrypted the packets there's nothing much they can do with that packet.

I'm not sure how to answer about the thieves, are you saying that you are worried about a man in the middle attack or someone is packet sniffing you,

1 hour ago, GaryH said:

How does the end user know for a fact that packets are encrypted ?

By not being able to connect to AirVPN at all. Even though it is possible with OpenVPN, --cipher/--data-ciphers/--data-ciphers-fallback cannot be none with AirVPN, see top of the Specs page for configured ciphers server-side (these are the only ones that can be used client-side, too).

Oh, and omitting --cipher or --data-ciphers is not the same as none, see https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/CipherNegotiation.

I'm afraid, the only way for you as a user to check whether it's encrypted or not is to intercept them yourself using a sniffer and see whether the payload is garbage or "readable" text.

1 hour ago, GaryH said:

If someone intercepts encrypted packets, then they are thieves that can be caught.

Someone can of course intercept them, there is no protection against that. But due to how OpenVPN works he/she can neither read them nor manipulate them, even reordering them meaningfully in their encrypted state can cause OpenVPN to drop them because it suspects a replay attack. This replay protection looks like this if triggered:
1 hour ago, GaryH said:

I would like to know that packets sent and received are encrypted and warn me if they are not.

Besides, I'm not even sure a program can verify locally if something is sent encrypted or not.
Maybe it can, if it uses libpcap, sends a string somewhere and sees if the sent string turns up in a packet. But this would mean it needs higher privileges on all OSes – needlessly.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I suspect a "man in the middle" sniffer may be involved.
the KEYS that you mentioned interest me. I am wondering if
someone has the "KEYS" can they break encrypted packets ?
Are the "KEYS" part of each message ?