Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.79.60
uwu73

Eddie network lock whitelist for LAN

Hey guys

Long term user of AirVPN here. I love it, never EVER had any issues with it.

I currently use on a media server that sits in the corner of a room. No monitor, etc. I use TeamViewer to connect to the machine (Peppermint Linux) and connect Eddie.

When I activate the network lock, over TeamViewer, the connection stays up and I can click the "Connect to recommended server" no problem. However, when I'm finished, and I disconnect Eddie, the TeamViewer connection drops and I cannot use it to deactivate the network lock (clearly because the network lock has stopped TeamViewer from connecting)

My questions are:

1. Why doesn't activating the network lock block TeamViewer before connecting (although I'm not overly fussed about knowing why)
  2. Is there a way of telling the network lock to allow connections from the LAN? At least  if TeamViewer dropped off, I could then perhaps SSH in from another machine and deactivate the network block, for instance

Anyway, its a pure annoyance, and not really AirVPN's fault - its doing its job. I'd just like to know if there is a solution, currently I have to hard reset the server when it happens (I could turn on the monitor but more often than not, it doesn't receive a signal from the graphics card - dodgy GVX card I think)

I'm using Eddie 2.19.7

Thanks in advance, uwu73

8 hours ago, uwu73 said:

Why doesn't activating the network lock block TeamViewer before connecting (although I'm not overly fussed about knowing why)

Network Lock by default has an exception for the local network. It seems your NetLock only engages when it's actually connecting, not when you explicitly click on Enable Network Lock. Have a look at Eddie 2.20 or 2.21 beta.

8 hours ago, uwu73 said:

Is there a way of telling the network lock to allow connections from the LAN? At least  if TeamViewer dropped off, I could then perhaps SSH in from another machine and deactivate the network block, for instance

TeamViewer is connecting you through the internet, it doesn't stay in your local network. You get disconnected because TeamViewer loses connection to the TeamViewer servers since NetLock blocks this kind of traffic going out.

8 hours ago, uwu73 said:

Anyway, its a pure annoyance, and not really AirVPN's fault - its doing its job.

Exactly. You need to use a protocol which stays in the local network, such as NX (NoMachine) or RFB (*VNC).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks, using NoMachine should sort it out. 

I thought TeamViewer would be clever enough to connect locally. 

Cheers again

4 hours ago, uwu73 said:

I thought TeamViewer would be clever enough to connect locally. 

FYI, TeamViewer always was a cloud service. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

10 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

FYI, TeamViewer always was a cloud service. :)

Yeah, don't normally use it - but for some reason I did on this server. NoMachine did the trick so I will remove TeamViewer. Be gone forever.

Thanks again