Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.218.215
benze

Route by domain name in Eddie? Split-tunnelling

Posted ... (edited)

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to configure Eddie to route all traffic to a given domain name through the VPN connection, and everything outside it.   From the Eddie Preferences pane, I see that I can configure specific domain names and IP address ranges, but I am looking to configure all addresses for a given domain name.

For example, I would want to be able to route  *.amazon.com  via the VPN connection, and have Eddie automatically route anything that is www.amazon.com, aws.amazon.com, subdomain.aws.amazon.com, etc through the VPN server, and everything else outside the VPN.

The endpoints that I need to route are clearly serverless instances whose URLs change regularly.  I only know the primary entry point, which then redirects me as appropriate to available instances.  Consequently, even using IP addresses becomes impossible as I do not know the IPs ahead-of-time.

Can this be done using Eddie?  I tried using wildcards (ex: *.amazon.com, .amazon.com), but that is rejected as an invalid domain name.  Alternatively, any suggestions what I can try to target specific traffic through the VPN?

Thanks,

Eric

Edited ... by benze

You are not the first asking for this. Although the --route option of OpenVPN does allow domain names as specified in the manual, wildcards are unsupported. That is because OpenVPN resolves domains given in a --route directive to a single IP address result and uses that with a 255.255.255.255 (/32) netmask to allow exactly one IP, as is the specification of --route. If a resolve yields more than one IP address, only the first one is used. So you can see why wildcards are impossible.

58 minutes ago, benze said:

Alternatively, any suggestions what I can try to target specific traffic through the VPN?

Have a look at https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_for_torrents/wiki. Although, this approach won't really work with browsers on Windows:

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.