Not connected, Your IP: 3.139.90.131
gonardia

Trying to get a publicly trusted certificate for an AirDNS host

Hi,

My chromecast requires that my streaming server has a publicly trusted certificate.

The problem is getting a certificate through the VPN. Certificate authorities require you to prove ownership of a DNS record before they will sign a request.  There are 3 common ways of doing this:

1. Publish a cryptographic response on the website at the location you want the certificate for.  The website must be on port 80. This is, rightly, not possible with AirVPN.
  2. Modify the DNS record to contain the crypto response.  DNS records have a txt field which is used for this purpose. Could AirVPN staff update my DNS record for me?
  3. Your DNS provider signs a certificate for you. Can AirDNS issue me a publicly trusted certificate for my AirDNS record?

Are either of options 2 or 3 possible?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, gonardia said:

Certificate authorities require you to prove ownership of a DNS record before they will sign a request.

Exactly. And you are not the owner of myddnsname.airdns.org.

5 hours ago, gonardia said:

Are either of options 2 or 3 possible?

Neither, as AirVPN is not a domain registrar. Please register your own domain for this. If you're worried about others looking at where you live through WHOIS/RDAP, there are TLDs with whois privacy by default. Most EU ones like .de, .at, .ch and .eu itself do this, outside EU .ca is not disclosing private info publically as well.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.