Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.75.131
~Daniel~

Fresh Eddie install on Manjaro KDE Plasma - limited connectivity

Hello, I've been migrating slowly over the past couple weeks from Windows to Manjaro KDE Plasma, and just yesterday I finally got around to installing eddie-ui 2.20.0-1 from AUR.  All-in-all things went very well, and I could login/connect without any issues.

I generally have a habit of enabling network lock before I connect to a VPN server, and while I was walking through the Linux config options, I thought I would try check the boxes for "Connect at startUp" and "Activate Network Lock at startup"... and when I closed/reopened eddie it did both those things which was nice.

However, after I disconnected and disabled the network lock, I got a notification that I had "limited connectivity"... which is weird because I was still able to browse the internet, so I wasn't assigned a "169" address.

I went back into Eddie, disabled the two "at startup" settings, confirmed I could network lock and connect manually, and disconnected and disabled the network lock... and still had "limited connectivity".

I'm not 100% certain if Manjaro thought it had a limited connectivity issue before hand or not... I just know if got prompted with it after my eddie session... and there were no other older notifications like it in the notification list.

Is it possible eddie wrote a setting somewhere that wasn't reversed that may explain my symptoms?  And remember I'm a Linux n00b at this point, so if you ask for more details I may need your assistance with the commands to fetch them.

What I can add is...
1) I remembered eddie mentioning something about iptables with the network lock activation... and currently for me right now (eddie not running, and network lock disabled at end of last session) I get the followinf when I query iptables..

$ sudo systemctl status iptables
○ iptables.service - IPv4 Packet Filtering Framework
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)

2) The firewall activated in Manjaro is ufw... currently set to block incoming and allow outgoing (more or less defaults) (I'm using ufwg, the GUI interface)
3) Beyond the core 3 Chain INPUT/FORWARD/OUTPUT policy sections, there is a lot of ufw chain entries, but nothing that looks labeled by AirVPN or eddie when i run sudo iptables -L
4) rebooting doesn't resolve the "limited connectivity" message

Thank You!

Found out Manjaro is updating their website and access is currently lost to the text file that their connectivity manager looks for to determine if web-access is "up".

So all should be well after their site update is complete... nothing to do or see here :)

20 hours ago, ~Daniel~ said:

And remember I'm a Linux n00b at this point,

The choice of distribution is often a personal or even ideological one, but do know that the Arch family is generally aimed at either sophisticated Linux users or people who like digging deep into documentation.
Still, welcome to the Linux world! Every soul switching from Windows is a win for everyone. We're glad to have you. :)

Having that written, I don't know if Manjaro changes it, but Arch's default NetworkManager connectivity check fetches ping.archlinux.org. You could consider changing this by creating/editing /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf with the contents from the wiki. Could also use an URL or yours and check for certain content, but that's up to you.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

41 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

The choice of distribution is often a personal or even ideological one, but do know that the Arch family is generally aimed at either sophisticated Linux users or people who like digging deep into documentation.
Still, welcome to the Linux world! Every soul switching from Windows is a win for everyone. We're glad to have you. :)

Having that written, I don't know if Manjaro changes it, but Arch's default NetworkManager connectivity check fetches ping.archlinux.org. You could consider changing this by creating/editing /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf with the contents from the wiki. Could also use an URL or yours and check for certain content, but that's up to you.
That's a great recommendation... currently it's set to http://ping.manjaro.org/check_network_status.txt, so Manjaro did tweak that. I'll definitely keep this in mind, at least I understand a little bit more about what is going on, that it's not really a "problem", and have choices in my back pocket to change it if it becomes a "recurring problem" I'd rather entirely mitigate.