Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.233.189
blank90

Accessing Banking Using Air VPN Servers

Posted ... (edited)

Any security concerns accessing my banking using Air VPN servers? I'm assuming it's just as safe and secure as not using Air VPN, but I'm wondering if there's a theoretical risk I'm not aware of. Any comments and insight?

Edited ... by blank90

I read a while ago that someone had their bank account locked by their bank security due to making an online card purchase while using their VPN connected to servers in say Holland for example. A little later while not on the VPN they used their card again and the account was locked due to two purchases in such a short time from two different countries. Apparently it took a while to get it sorted out. For that reason I only do banking while not being connected to the VPN.

Ever heard of a bank that's giving out anonymous access to money? That's just outright begging for abuse. Do not use proxies, VPNs or Tor with your banking account, period. It also doesn't make sense, they've got your ID and data, anyway.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Michael bassel sp? covered this in one of his podcasts (OSint security and privacy about banks blocking vpn users.
He had some tips.
I believe one was to use a more common web browser than firefox.

I use firefox and a vpn all the time and have not encountered the problem yet but it seems its a matter of time.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I also use a VPN while connecting to my bank.  Its not about security but privacy as I move around.  The bank URL is https so there is no significant risk from AirVpn.  I am lucky enough to have a true U2F bank authentication for connecting.  So here is the deal (its a major bank in my country #2): I have contacted their online security department and advised them that I use a VPN to connect and why.  They have notated my account to look for two specific IPs other than my normal home ISP.  These two AirVpn servers are stable and reliable and I only use these two for connecting to my bank.  I had the opposite problem that some above describe.  I travel around and different IP's all the time (not VPN IPs) actually raised several flags and I was  constantly getting called by online security for verification.  Pain in the A**.  Now I can be in any country in the world and if I connect, which I do, to one of the two designated servers the IP the bank sees is exactly the same as always.  It has made life quite easy compared to before.  I know the bank is trying to protect my account, but sometimes you have to get creative.  Plus this way my bank doesn't really know where I am unless I use one of my credit cards in that city.  Just wanted to offer my viewpoint on this subject.

trott3r,

One easy solution is to create a personal FF profile for your bank and use an "agent switcher" extension.  I do and select Windows OS & Chrome browser even though I would never use Windows or connect through Chrome, LOL!  Just make yourself look like all the other sheep and the bank is happy!

I just glanced at the FF add on selections in preferences.  Both of the top two switchers work great (typed in user agent in the search bar).  They both have 60K+ downloads.  Again, just play like a sheep would be my call.  Depending on where you live; for me its Windows OS and Chrome browser and you are good.  I always create a unique profile for my Bank on all systems.  As you likely know FF saves anything on the profile to a unique location, which you can designate "where".  Simple stuff but effective.

21 hours ago, iwih2gk said:

I just glanced at the FF add on selections in preferences.  Both of the top two switchers work great (typed in user agent in the search bar).  They both have 60K+ downloads.  Again, just play like a sheep would be my call.  Depending on where you live; for me its Windows OS and Chrome browser and you are good.  I always create a unique profile for my Bank on all systems.  As you likely know FF saves anything on the profile to a unique location, which you can designate "where".  Simple stuff but effective.

unique profile?

are you talking about multi containers extension?
This separates each web site that you designate so i have separate email banking etc containers.

or is there something native that i have missed.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

5 hours ago, trott3r said:

unique profile?

are you talking about multi containers extension?
This separates each web site that you designate so i have separate email banking etc containers.

or is there something native that i have missed.

I don't what OS you are using.  Firefox has native profile options that you can easily create for different use purposes.

e.g. on linux I open a terminal and type "firefox -P" it then opens the existing profiles on my system and provides an easy mechanism to create a NEW profile.  Where this helps with security is that FF stores all activities for a given profile in a unique file/location.  If you have never done this before just realize that you are using "default" profile on FF.  Default stores its stuff in a specific position on your drive.  i.e. - you are using storage but it is happening automatically you just never realized how it works, but now you will be smarter, LOL.  When you mount/run profiles those browser instances do NOT have access to any other profile's activities.  In this thread you would create a bank profile (name it anything you want) and that profile would then store its activities in the newly created position on your system.  When you open your new bank profile it will be a virgin FF browser and you must set your preferences from start.  The preferences you used on other profiles do NOT carry over.  Its very easy to do!  Just create a new FF ICON on your Desktop and set the target to the specific bank profile and when you click it, presto you are using "bank" Firefox.  In keeping with this thread, it is at this point that you add the user agent switcher to the bank profile and change it to Windows OS and Chrome (if that is your decision).  Hope this helps.

I've been accessing banks with AirVPN for years now, and it hasn't been difficult.  At least the banks I deal with seem more intersted in consistency between sessions rather than particulars.
Connecting to their websites from different VPN nodes seems to raise flags, using different browsers when I connect seems to raise flags, but always connecting to their sites from the same node using the same browser soon becomes seamless (assuming VPN node isn't blacklisted).  Sometimes I have "additional security questions" or a 2FA process to follow if I upgrade my browser, but not always.
If anything, connecting via VPN means that I have fewer issues no matter where I am actually located.  As far as their system sees it, I connect from the same IP address every time.