Not connected, Your IP: 18.219.112.111

Every week or so I am finding my connection really slow. After troubleshooting, I find that changing the DNS server fixes the problem. Because I have the VPN configured on my ASUS Merlin router the DNS settings are manual. I select a DNS server from the OpenNIC project, but I would like to avoid having to manually change every couple of weeks. 

Do the DNS servers periodically experience issues? Is there a way to find a stable DNS server? Could my issue be related to something else?

Am I right in assuming that you are not using AirDNS? Because if so, we can't do much. As you are setting the DNS servers manually to OpenNIC, ultimately it's the problem of whoever operates a given DNS server for the OpenNIC project.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I am not sure if I am using AirDNS. I will search for setup on using AirDNS, but I followed the directions for setting up vpn on my ASUS router with Merlin flash. My DNS settings are set to manual with DNS Server 1 as 10.4.0.1 and DNS Server 2 set to a DNS server from the OpenNIC project. 

Is using AirDNS as simple as inputting an appropriate AirDNS server into the manual DNS settings? 

16 hours ago, protopyre said:

My DNS settings are set to manual with DNS Server 1 as 10.4.0.1

This is AirDNS – the DNS server provided by AirVPN. :)

Can you please try using only 10.4.0.1?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

There's no need to manually set 10.4.0.1.  Just tell set your VPN client settings to use the pushed DNS exclusively.  It'll change it automatically upon connect.  Use OpenNIC for the DNS settings in the WAN section.  That'll allow you to resolve domains when the VPN isn't connected and for devices that don't go through the VPN if you use the policy routing option.