Not connected, Your IP: 34.231.247.254
gribble

Eddie Speed using Core i3 5005U

Hi,

I am looking at using an Core i3 5005U based PC to connect via Eddie, then share that connection to the rest of my network.

The question is, can a Core i3 5005U run Eddie at 350mbps, the speed of my line.

I currently use dd-wrt on an r7800, but this maxes out at 80mbps.

Thanks

13 hours ago, gribble said:

I currently use dd-wrt on an r7800, but this maxes out at 80mbps.

Do you mean, with OpenVPN?

13 hours ago, gribble said:

The question is, can a Core i3 5005U run Eddie at 350mbps, the speed of my line.

I wouldn't count on it, though with customization tailored to your system you could reach 100, 150 maybe. Problem is, that CPU is low-TDP (15W) so it's made to minimize energy consumption and heat generation. Depending on how you share the connection, if it's WLAN, then it also must e/d the various WPA2 data streams, breaking down throughput.

Only way to be sure is to simply test it. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks.

I do mean Eddie, I figured its most simple to just run Eddie on a pc and share that connection, connecting it to the WAN port on my router.

I went down the openVPN route with dd-wrt, but I could not get decent speed even on the most expensive router.

Eddie on my core i9 does 350mbit without a sweat!

That i9 clocks with more than 3.5 GHz and boosts to 4+. it's made for performance, generates heat like a little radiator (therefore making active cooling absolutely essential) and needs a bit more power than a U5005. Yes, this CPU is probably sufficient for single-threaded 350 MBit/s. I reached 400 as well with a Ryzen 1600 in the past, but I will never run that monster all day.

18 minutes ago, gribble said:

I went down the openVPN route with dd-wrt, but I could not get decent speed even on the most expensive router.

Of course not. You will mostly see ARM CPUs, maybe still the occasional MIPS, in there, which are even more tailored to energy saving and heat reduction because they usually run 24/7 – just like your R7800 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon inside, an ARM CPU. The compromise of Intel's U processors is that you can keep the popular, comprehensive, highly compatible x86 instruction set while making it possible to be built into smaller-factor devices like mini-computers (Intel NUC) or laptops.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

@neighbour80, thanks I will.

What sort of openvpn speed are people getting with that firmware?

Edited ... by gribble
typo

Low-TDP CPUs like Atom 3000 series work fine for 300+ Mbps OpenVPN. At least on pfSense, but probably Linux as well. Actually Linux might be even faster if you have QAT in your CPU and manage to enable it.