Not connected, Your IP: 3.16.47.14
Thrace

Encountering errors on using DDNS to connect to my personal mail

Sorry to revive this old thread :D

I am trying something similar but couldn't understand exactly.

I have:
mydns.airdns.org with a forwarded port and i have cname mydns.airdns.org at cloudflare to mail.mydomain.org.

and hoping when i browse to mail.mydomain.org i will get/redirect mydns.airdns.org with forwarded port.

Is it possible?

Also i get "ERROR: Multiple destinations" because i have multiple active vpn connections.

My goal is to reach my home servers roundcube with https://mail.mydomain.org which is behind vpn.

Is there a way for it?

Cheers

Hi, I really think we shouldn't talk in an old thread, specially because it is already marked as answered so I strongly suggest you open a new thread for further discussion.

Anyway, for what I know about airvpn's port forwarding and DDNS You will find 2 "limitations":
1.- DDNS wont work if you are connected to more than one server.
2.- Port forwarding wont work if more than one device connected to the same server.

Once that said, If you can ensure only your server is connected to a certain airvpn server (and that it will always connect to that one), you can set "mail.mydomain.org" to that servers exit IP address.
This way your web service would be reachable through something like "mail.mydomain.org:OPENED_PORT_NUMBER".

Split from:Exactly the point, Mr. eburom. :)

About DDNS, it works, but only for the most recently connected device. So if you set up your MTA connected to AirVPN, the moment you connect with some other client, the A lookup will return the IP address of that client and return to the actual mail server if you disconnect.
Not to mention that operating a MTA behind a VPN will almost certainly get its address listed on mail server blacklists, so the best you can do is rent a small VPS and set up mail there if you rely on your own mail domain. :) There certainly are use cases for VPNs, but hosting is not one of them.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

11 minutes ago, eburom said:

Hi, I really think we shouldn't talk in an old thread, specially because it is already marked as answered so I strongly suggest you open a new thread for further discussion.

Yep, i regret just after submitted my reply :D.

11 minutes ago, eburom said:
This way your web service would be reachable through something like "mail.mydomain.org:OPENED_PORT_NUMBER".

So i guess cname doesnt copy the port. Probably just asking for ip and goes from there.

4 minutes ago, giganerd said:

Exactly the point, Mr. eburom. :)

About DDNS, it works, but only for the most recently connected device. So if you set up your MTA connected to AirVPN, the moment you connect with some other client, the A lookup will return the IP address of that client and return to the actual mail server if you disconnect.
Not to mention that operating a MTA behind a VPN will almost certainly get its address listed on mail server blacklists, so the best you can do is rent a small VPS and set up mail there if you rely on your own mail domain. :) There certainly are use cases for VPNs, but hosting is not one of them.

I already can connect to
mail.mydomain.org:OPENED_PORT_NUMBER by updating servers ip to cloudflare by a script.
I was just trying to remove port from mail.mydomain.org to connect my server. But fail.

Thanks for all replies :D

I think DNS is only for resolving names to IP addresses, the port thing happens external to that. It could be for the protocol specified in the URL (http:// -> 80, https:// ->443) or because you explicitly write it after the URL:PORT, as you are already doing.
If you want that http://mail.mydomain.org (port 80) will reach mydns.airdns.org:OTHER_PORT then what you need is a proxy, which I don't know if cloudflare provides. You can set it up yourself, but as it should be reached in port 80 (for what I understand you need) it wont be able to live inside the VPN.

Remember that "mydns.airdns.org" will work under the explained circumstances.