Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.192.3
francescoraffa

AirVPN slow with fiber connection

I'm seeing the occasional thread about low throughput of OpenVPN on top of fiber connections around here. I'd really like to test myself if it's truly a problem affecting fiber connections as a whole but in Germany fiber is mostly a dream from a parallel universe in an alternate reality.

If you're using Eddie, you could click the lifebelt icon in Logs tab and paste or upload the output here. Please use LOG format (top left button in post editor) if you choose to paste it. Maybe we can optimize those 100 Mbit/s, but I doubt you will reach 500 MBit/s here – the servers' 1GBit link alone allows 500 max, and there are also other clients using bandwidth.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, francescoraffa said:

I installed the fiber at 1g (travels to 500MB real without VPN), but with airvpn (any server) it does not go beyond 100M..

Your statement is mixing bits and bytes together. You are using Gigabit and Megabytes in the same sentence which is not realistic possible at all. 1Gb (bit) is equal to 125 MB (bytes). Bits are the lower case 'b' in front of K/M/G (eg: Kb, Mb, Gb, etc) whereas Bytes always the upper case 'B' in front of K/M/G (eg: KB, MB, GB, etc). I would assume you meant bits entirely which you meant 500Mb and 100Mb.

Can you tell us what servers you are connected to? Keep in mind, you are connected to the servers does not entitled you the entire bandwidth of the connected server to you alone. You have to share with users who are connecting through the same server you are connected to as much as the max bandwidth the servers can handle. If the server only have remaining megabits it can give out, then that is much as you can use.

As Giganerd said, you need to post Eddie log to give the clue of what is happening.

23 hours ago, giganerd said:

I'm seeing the occasional thread about low throughput of OpenVPN on top of fiber connections around here. I'd really like to test myself if it's truly a problem affecting fiber connections as a whole but in Germany fiber is mostly a dream from a parallel universe in an alternate reality.

This bothers me as well, Giganerd. I been seeing users (with 1Gb speed) making post that they cannot use the max connection of their ISP allowed with VPN. Other than torrenting and transmitting files, what they are doing to justify to use a full 1Gb bandwidth sustainably? If it is about streaming, then Netflix normally use up to 3GB per hour for HD which equated to roughly 6Mbps per screen.

I have 200/25 from my ISP, Spectrum (USA). Based on fast.com result, I get 230Mbps consistently through American and Canadian AirVPN servers. I recently tested out Dutch server, Musica, which I only get about 94 Mbps.

I use the openvpn connect app and the server I connect to is always/only the German one.

Now I have installed eddie  in my m acbook pro and I have (I attach images - server is automatic (NL) )

503.76/146.71 without eddie app

35.73/13.38 with eddie/airvpn

I don't want to surf at 1GB but not so slow.....

novpn.png

airvpn.png

Hi, there's a post where a solution was proposed to a similar problem.In case it helps.

21 hours ago, eburom said:

Hi, there's a post where a solution was proposed to a similar problem.

In case it helps.

Thanks.