Not connected, Your IP: 3.85.211.2
Maggie144

<⌀> Utopia P2P Ecosystem

Was posted already with equal interest, which is close to none.

• I looked for "utopia P2P" on the net and noticed many "news" websites writing about it in the highest tones, but the texts are very similar, for example using all the same words in English, and interestingly, also German to introduce it: "breakthrough decentralized P2P ecosystem". Questions I have after even the first sentence: How is P2P a breakthrough? And how is the decentralization of the network different from the decentral nature of the internet itself, which is by definition a network of routers speaking to each other?
  • I searched Reddit, and I got a massive amount of threads sounding similar to this: "Went [location] and saw this painting/graffiti/mural/etc. Utopia P2P, anyone knows what it is?" Most commenters hint at an attempt at aggressive marketing. Anyway, one particular set of comments raised the correct questions.
  • Where's the source code of it? Surely they don't expect me to run a software telling me to trust it with my private communication without knowing what exactly I'm executing?
  • I don't see whitepapers, too. What about the details of encryption for example? It must be outlined somewhere in technical terms. Otherwise I'd trust the internet with fully documented, transparent, accessible, battle-proven standards more. By using the software I must be more wary of the devil I don't know (also because I don't know the ones in control of the code, making it all the more dangerous to use). On the other hand we know the problems of the internet in quite the detail. We're addressing some of them by using AirVPN. ;)
Nevertheless, I took a quick look into the current Debian package. Noticed a Firefox 68.6.1 there by the name of "Idyll" with a set of prefs.js configuration items. I made a new profile on Firefox 68.6.0esr with these and the result was quite a basic UI. It also comes with all the libs it needs, so it doesn't use the system ones. Makes separate updating a necessity. There are Qt5 libs, a bit of crypto and some sound packs. If they altered Firefox in any way, then they'd be violating the GPL distributing it like this, which is a huge red flag if you ask me.

The other features mentioned (IM, mail, billing) seem to be in the utopia binary. I didn't go deeper there.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.