Not connected, Your IP: 3.146.255.127
cultureswim

Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)

Recently unable to log in with Eddie on 5 of 7 servers on my short list of (mostly) USA west coast. I'm using the same ISP "5G" wifi on the same computer, with no recent upgrades or changes that I'm aware of. 

Not connecting "Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)": 
Aquila (Freemont), Alkes (Los Angeles), Merope, Sabik, Sculptor.

Connecting: Teegarden Groombridge.  

Freemont is important to overcome Geolocation restrictions of a website with which I need to pay bills. 

3 hours ago, cultureswim said:

Freemont is important to overcome Geolocation restrictions of a website with which I need to pay bills.

Isn't it paradoxical to do that? Your bills are likely tied to your real name, anyway.

As for the errors, let's begin with a support file. Try a connection to a server erroring out for you, then go to the Logs tab, click the lifebelt icon and paste the outputs here, maybe into LOG format (top left button in the post editor).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Sorry I missed your response. I thought I'd receive an email alert.

Now none of the 7 servers on my short list work. They all immediately receive the same error, as Eddie cycles through them. I was unable to unpack hummingbird into my applications folder (another error). 

I've attached the log of one attempt.

Log highlights: 

Eddie version: 2.11.15

Eddie OS build: osx_x64

OS type: OSX

OS name: 10.14.3

It's was a secondary point why I wanted to use a server in a particular location, but ... since you asked... when I'm outside of the country, or often even the state, I'm unable to log into my storage unit's website account to check on my account's status and pay bills through their website's payment portal. In fact, I noticed that only the VPN servers located near the city where my storage unit resides, unblocked access to my account. At least with the several that I tried. Perhaps that company has a thing against VPNs, and I simply found some servers that coincidentally hadn't yet been blacklisted. I don't know. I just go with what works.

Posted ... (edited)
1 hour ago, cultureswim said:

when I'm outside of the country, or often even the state, I'm unable to log into my storage unit's website account to check on my account's status and pay bills through their website's payment portal

Seriously, if you depend on that, you should really consider setting up your own small VPN server on a Raspberry Pi or something. It's cheaper in the long run (need to only be powered when you're out, costs only $40 or so once as opposed to AirVPN's monthly costs plus the stress you are experiencing with possible blocks), will never block you out since you use your own internet connection and, I don't know, you can brag about an elegant solution to your problem. A public VPN provider used by thousands is not the best approach here.

And you didn't provide the support file. In the Logs tab, click the lifebelt icon instead of just copying the logs you see. They will be in that file, anyway, along with more diagnostic info.

Edit: I already see the problem, I think.

. 2020.04.12 14:07:22 - OpenVPN > OpenVPN 2.4.0 x86_64-apple-darwin16.3.0 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [MH/RECVDA] [AEAD] built on Jan 29 2017

Would you kindly update Eddie first? This seems to be too old, and the errors seem to indicate a known cURL error. Edited ... by giganerd
You know it when you see it :)

Sorry but I'm confused.  Did you not notice the already attached log doc "Eddie_20200412_140749.txt" ?  That was automatically downloaded when I clicked on the floppy disk icon on that same "logs" tabbed panel.  I didn't hand copy & paste anything into this thread except the 4-lines I called "log highlights."

I wonder if we are looking at different versions of the Eddie client. Clicking on the red lifesaver ring icon brings up the "Copy to clipboard done" bubble ... which indicates I'd need to paste it somewhere. In theory, it seems like both methods should yield the same info.

Let me know if you want me to paste that horrendously long log into this thread.

Thanks for the raspberry Pi suggestion. I think that solution doesn't cover the full range of services I need or desire, that a VPN with servers in different countries does. Fortunately, I'm back in the country for awhile. And staying put (like most of us) for awhile!

9 hours ago, cultureswim said:

I wonder if we are looking at different versions of the Eddie client. Clicking on the red lifesaver ring icon brings up the "Copy to clipboard done" bubble ... which indicates I'd need to paste it somewhere. In theory, it seems like both methods should yield the same info.

Looks like it. That button should bring up a new window with more output. Which is why I ask you kindly to update Eddie first. Maybe this is even enough to fix your problem, so a support file is not needed at all. :)

Thanks... that worked!  That's why I mentioned my Eddie version  when I first attached the log you requested. And the fact that I wasn't able to update to Hummingbird because of "errors".  :) No need for you to read code!

It was actually my first reluctant impulse to update Eddie to the slightly newer version 2.18, but for some reason my system wouldn't allow me to unpack it into my applications folder... just like Hummingbird... because of "errors"... nada offer from the system to grant permissions.  I threw up my hands in frustration. I have a lot on my plate.

But, just now (because of your confirmation that my problems were because of the version) I unpacked it elsewhere, and then successfully dragged it into my App folder after jumping through a couple of permissions hoops. Go figure. 

Did things change on the AirVPN side of things in the last month or 2? 

I ask, because everything was pretty stable on my end with Eddie 2.11.15 till very recently.  My OS is purposely a bit old (to be compatible with my most important software and plug-ins).

On 4/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, cultureswim said:

I was unable to unpack hummingbird into my applications folder (another error). 

I've attached the log of one attempt.

Log highlights: 

Eddie version: 2.11.15

Eddie OS build: osx_x64

OS type: OSX

OS name: 10.14.3

6 hours ago, cultureswim said:

Did things change on the AirVPN side of things in the last month or 2? 

I ask, because everything was pretty stable on my end with Eddie 2.11.15 till very recently. 

I am not sure about the reasons, but threads started to appear approximately a month ago about a cURL TLS error and therefore impossible connections. You can no longer connect with TLS 1.0 or 1.1, and it looks like the cURL version packaged with ancient Eddie versions like yours cannot yet talk TLS 1.2, so the connection fails with a security error.
It's opportunities like these when you notice just how many people out there are not upgrading their software at all. So it's good they wash up here in the forums, though I wish more would simply search for errors because it usually answers all the questions. Oh well. :)