Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.27.244
larsvontrier

Am I using Airvpn with Tor correctly?

Currently I open up The 'Eddie' client on my desktop.
I then input my login and password.
After that I press the button to 'Activate Network Lock'.

After that has happened I then connect to an Airvpn server which has a 5-star score or low load.
Then I open up tor browser to connect to the internet.
I connect and Tor seems to be working fine.

But is this correct? Is anyone else using the same method?
Thank you in advance. I am using a Linux OS.

1 hour ago, larsvontrier said:

What exactly is your concern? :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 hour ago, giganerd said:

What exactly is your concern? :)

This Airvpn page says we shouldn't use an Airvpn server as a Tor exit node.
So I want to know that I'm using Tor and Airvpn correctly together.

For some reason the link I have provided (above) indicates I connect to Tor first before I connect to Airvpn.
But I connect to Airvpn first, activate network lock, and then I connect to Tor.

I would like to know if the procedure I use is correct.
My concern is if I'm using Airvpn with Tor incorrectly - then my anonymity may be compromised.
I only use Tor because it's an additional browser to further obfuscate while I'm on Youtube (Google).

5 hours ago, larsvontrier said:

See https://airvpn.org/tor/ again for info about using AirVPN and Tor. You are using the bottom setup "Using Tor over AirVPN" which is fine. The Features section at the bottom provides additional detail. You will not be using AirVPN as a Tor exit node with the setups on that page.

1 hour ago, larsvontrier said:

This Airvpn page says we shouldn't use an Airvpn server as a Tor exit node.

If you want the full context, Mr. larsvontrier, this message showed up after a handful of users complained about websites and services denying access because the IP addresses of a growing number of servers were flagged as Tor exits. This prompted me and a few others to write some posts. The result was some good publicity, we were heard by Staff and the message I quoted appeared where it is today. We also reduced the problem to a trifle, there are rarely posts about it now, though recently some started to suspect a few individuals might be setting up exit nodes again, this time more systematically, but so far the problem is under control (figuratively).

If you download the Tor bundle, you can not only use it for access but also to configure it as a relay or an exit. When I wrote that post I suspected that most users were normal people like you and me who weren't sure about possible consequences when hosting an exit over their ISP line but since they now connected to a VPN, they thought, maybe they could help the project. After all, servers and bandwidth all cost and setup was easy. They didn't notice the negative side effects this created for the community.

So, as Mr. Fly AirVPN wrote, it's not what you think it is. Happy surfing!

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

12 hours ago, Fly AirVPN said:

See https://airvpn.org/tor/ again for info about using AirVPN and Tor. You are using the bottom setup "Using Tor over AirVPN" which is fine. The Features section at the bottom provides additional detail. You will not be using AirVPN as a Tor exit node with the setups on that page.
Thank you, this has been helpful.
Although I had already visited the link you've provided - I didn't scroll down all the way to the bottom to the bit which applies to me!
That page although full of info... is a bit complicated.

Essentially, if you want to use Tor Browser and you have a paid Airvpn service then:
1. Activate the Airvpn service (Eddie client) as normal.
2. Now open your Tor Browser rather than any other browser (e.g. Firefox/Chrome).
3. If Tor works - then everything is working correctly. You're running Tor on top of Airvpn.

The advantage of this is: 'The Tor entry-node will not see your real IP address, it will see the exit-IP address of the Air server you're connected to'. (https://airvpn.org/tor/).

NB: When I used Tor Browser without a VPN many years ago - I'm fairly certain my use of Tor was tracked to my IP address! Nothing is infallible. And I was merely doing normal browsing and glad for the anonymity provided by the free Tor service.
But with the method above - although using Tor will reveal you to the 'eye of Sauron', you can only be tracked back to an Airvpn server rather than your own IP address.
Of course, browsing habits and statistical analysis (whatever that is) can also reveal your identity.

12 hours ago, giganerd said:

If you want the full context, Mr. larsvontrier, this message showed up after a handful of users complained about websites and services denying access because the IP addresses of a growing number of servers were flagged as Tor exits. This prompted me and a few others to write some posts. The result was some good publicity, we were heard by Staff and the message I quoted appeared where it is today. We also reduced the problem to a trifle, there are rarely posts about it now, though recently some started to suspect a few individuals might be setting up exit nodes again, this time more systematically, but so far the problem is under control (figuratively).

If you download the Tor bundle, you can not only use it for access but also to configure it as a relay or an exit. When I wrote that post I suspected that most users were normal people like you and me who weren't sure about possible consequences when hosting an exit over their ISP line but since they now connected to a VPN, they thought, maybe they could help the project. After all, servers and bandwidth all cost and setup was easy. They didn't notice the negative side effects this created for the community.

So, as Mr. Fly AirVPN wrote, it's not what you think it is. Happy surfing!
Thank you for the info. Unlike some VPNs, Airvpn gives us the added advantage of using Tor - so we should use this advantage properly.

I've just realised that the  Thank you for the info. Unlike some VPNs, Airvpn gives us the added advantage of using Tor - so this advantage should be used properly.

I've just realised that the  https://airvpn.org/tor/ page shows TWO options for using Tor. Although I am using Option 2 (Tor over Airvpn), it seems that Option 1 (Airvpn over Tor) has far more advantages.
However Option 1 is far too technical for me.
Thank you for your reply.