Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.36.141
ChaseZachary

commercial providers do they have agreements with media companies

Posted ... (edited)

So I am curious, for a long time I ran personal VPN's on server's I manage myself in different countries, this worked well e.g. on services like netflix. But then the craze started to block VPN's.

However it is interesting to see that commercial VPN services continue to work, this makes no sense as they would be the easiest to block, if you see dozens or 100s of connections from a VPS service ip, you know its a VPN service, yet they work. Whilst I am the only using my personal VPN and it is detected as a VPN.

Dns is not been leaked, also no ipv6 leak, so any idea how the commercial VPN companies evade detection?

This isnt just netflix, but also youtube and other services.shareit appvn

Edited ... by ChaseZachary

On 2/28/2020 at 5:23 AM, ChaseZachary said:
This isnt just netflix, but also youtube and other services.
Why would YouTube ever be blocked from VPN servers? I've never experienced that.

But to answer your question, the way that commercial VPNs are still able to provide Netflix access is usually through DNS Routing (also called Micro Routing, SmartDNS, etc) using the VPN's DNS server. For example, when you access Netflix using AirVPN, Netflix does not see the IP address of the VPN server you are currently using, instead when your computer tries to resolve the domain "netflix.com" it resolves to not the actual netflix domain, but rather to a different server, controlled by the VPN provider, which reroutes the Netflix requests through other IP addresses controlled by the VPN provider which are not used for direct VPN connections and instead are reserved only for Netflix use, they might use smaller and less known server providers so the IP is not flagged as hosting, or some VPNs even have control of residential IP addresses which they might route the connection through, and as such those IP addresses have not been identified by Netflix as VPN servers. But, when you try to access netflix.com from your personal VPN, which although it has only one user, being yourself, it is probably getting detected as VPN because your server is with a well known hosting provider, as Netflix tends to block those.