Jump to content
Not connected, Your IP: 3.239.233.139

Recommended Posts

Since I started using AirVPN some years back, I've never really been on a connection above around 85mbps. This has resulted in a connection speed via AirVPN of as near as dammit the speed I pay my ISP for. However, I've just signed up to a fibre to property 500mbps connection which is being installed next month.

Can anyone indicate what speeds I should be expecting through AirVPN if I use a local UK server? Will it be comparable to other perhaps more well known VPN brands who claim to have the fastest speeds? I'd sooner avoid moving to another VPN provider as I have never had a problem with Air, but by the same token if another provider for whatever reason can increase the available speed to nearer what my connection is (especially if it's a considerable margin), I might have to consider it providing it doesn't result in a reduction in privacy.

Hoping someone can help with this who already has a gigafast fibre to property connection. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post

how fast depends on a lot of different factors.

But, if you're using windows I suggest you learn how to use the new wintun driver not the TAP driver of "old". 

Share this post


Link to post

I understand it depends on different factors, I'm simply looking for some sort of ballpark that can be expected. I'm fully aware expectation of 500mbps is nowhere near realistic, but is 200mbps on AirVPN possible if set up correctly? 300mbps?

I'll look into wintun. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
That's the wintun stuff.  Also, if you're getting virgin internet you might want to research complications with some of their equipment. 

Share this post


Link to post

Nah, it's not Virgin, they're hopeless.

I've now got Wintun working, although through OpenVPN directly rather than Eddie as it seems it's not supported. Is that still the case? So at the moment my primary issue is the lack of network lock/kill switch.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, vpn_access said:

Nah, it's not Virgin, they're hopeless.

I've now got Wintun working, although through OpenVPN directly rather than Eddie as it seems it's not supported. Is that still the case? So at the moment my primary issue is the lack of network lock/kill switch.


That's correct.  I don't think it's possible to work with Eddie just yet because the network lock doesn't know how to work with the wintun driver.

Share this post


Link to post

If it isn't Virgin which other company in the UK offers 500MB fibre to property service?. I would love to tell Richard Branson to stick his crappy superhub v3.0 where the sun don't shine but know of no other supplier in my area at least which offers what you say you are going to get. Even the likes of Sky and BT only offer their basic services in Virgin cable areas as they can't compete.
 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, bluesjunior said:

If it isn't Virgin which other company in the UK offers 500MB fibre to property service?. I would love to tell Richard Branson to stick his crappy superhub v3.0 where the sun don't shine but know of no other supplier in my area at least which offers what you say you are going to get. Even the likes of Sky and BT only offer their basic services in Virgin cable areas as they can't compete.
 


CityFibre with Vodafone. And as I'm a Vodafone mobile customer I get it all in for £25 a month with no line rental as it's FTTP so the land line is VOIP. Could have had 900mbps for £35 a month but seemed a bit extreme even for me.

Not sure at this time what the Vodafone router is like but it can't be any worse that the crappy Sky Q Hub I've got at the moment. You can't even alter the DNS on those things. Sky's broadband is a joke.

EDIT - just for information purposes, what speeds do you get on Virgin's 500mbps FTTP through AirVPN?

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, vpn_access said:

CityFibre with Vodafone. And as I'm a Vodafone mobile customer I get it all in for £25 a month with no line rental as it's FTTP so the land line is VOIP. Could have had 900mbps for £35 a month but seemed a bit extreme even for me.

Not sure at this time what the Vodafone router is like but it can't be any worse that the crappy Sky Q Hub I've got at the moment. You can't even alter the DNS on those things. Sky's broadband is a joke.

EDIT - just for information purposes, what speeds do you get on Virgin's 500mbps FTTP through AirVPN?
On the back of your post I checked out BT's new superfast fibre to house options but as usual it isn't available in my area as the whole area is gridlocked with Virgin cables and I think the other companies see it as not worth the bother so concentrate on areas where Virgin don't have a foothold. I have Virgins Vivid 200 + landline + basic tv package for £44 a month but don't want the landline or the tv pack but it actually works out more expensive to drop them, crazy I know. Anyway I get my full 200Mbps all day long without the VPN but as soon as I sign into AirVPN my speed drops down to around 35mbps and my download speed is around 5Mbps. It used to be much better with the old Virgin superhub v2.0 hub but since the introduced the v3.0 version it is atrocious for some reason it has severe problems with VPN traffic.

Share this post


Link to post

Really hope I don't have issues like that with Vodafone otherwise there wouldn't be much point in the speeds I'm paying for. Still, £25 per month is less than I'm currently paying Sky for <80mbps so nothing to lose really.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, iam from west germany and connected with a 400.000 line from unitymedia. My upload speed is always fully usable, around 2,4 megabyte/sec. My download speed over sweden is always over 20megabytes/sec, i reach 25-29megabytes sometimes with a gamelatency around just under 100ms (world of tanks/world of warcraft). Over frankfurt both is way faster.

No other service was faster for me or get my port forwarding problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Security Check
    Play CAPTCHA Audio
    Refresh Image

×
×
  • Create New...