Not connected, Your IP: 35.153.170.189
cqs

Hummingbird Suggestion

Posted ... (edited)

An interactive way to put in the username and password; shell history is also a concern, so it'd hopefully mitigate this as well.
Currently if you have a password which contains delimiters, as in a bunch of random symbols, you can't use the password since the shell will make the command not execute.
You could use a tool on your own to overwrite the shell history file with random contents at least 3 times, zero the file out then delete, and recreate the file with touch to ensure there's no errors with the shells that complain about there being no history file.

Edited ... by peldx
Less confusing.

1 hour ago, peldx said:

Shell history is also a concern; you can use a tool to overwrite the history file with random contents at least 3 times, zero the file out then delete, and recreate the file with touch to ensure there's no errors with some shells.

The software should tell the shell that a password is given. Then it won't be logged. To me your suggestion would be a desaster if Hummingbird would do so just like that. I've got my backups, that's not the thing. But I think any software shouldn't touch files other than their own unless the user explicitly wants the software to touch others, and it seems it's generally how file interactions are handled by convention, even on Windows.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

5 minutes ago, giganerd said:

The software should tell the shell that a password is given. Then it won't be logged. To me your suggestion would be a desaster if Hummingbird would do so just like that. I've got my backups, that's not the thing. But I think any software shouldn't touch files other than their own unless the user explicitly wants the software to touch others, and it seems it's generally how file interactions are handled by convention, even on Windows.
I didn't intend to suggest that as a feature for Hummingbird, I was saying it as a thing you could do on your own to mitigate having shell history of your password.