Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.67.251

I have just bought an Airvpn plan but cannot set it up.

I've downloaded the Eddie package onto my desktop. I have Debian 8 64-bit.
After extracting eddie-ui, I have 2 folders: DEBIAN and usr.
The DEBIAN folder holds a 'control' file - I think this is the executable to open 'eddie-ui'.

When I double-click on the control file - a message opens asking if I want to 'run' the executable or 'run in terminal'. However neither option works.
This means I can't even open up the eddie gui.
Can someone help?

I can deduce from the directories you quote that you extracted the DEB package. You need to install it instead.

sudo dpkg -i [eddie package's name].deb

May I propose another way? This will add Eddie's repository to the APT sources where you can install it with an even simpler command while making sure it stays up-to-date when your distribution is installing system updates. Execute the following chain of commands:
wget -qO - https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key|sudo apt-key add - && sudo echo "deb http://eddie.website/repository/apt stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/eddie.list && apt-get update
If there were no errors, install Eddie with this:
sudo apt-get install eddie-ui

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, giganerd said:

I can deduce from the directories you quote that you extracted the DEB package. You need to install it instead.

sudo dpkg -i [eddie package's name].deb

May I propose another way? This will add Eddie's repository to the APT sources where you can install it with an even simpler command while making sure it stays up-to-date when your distribution is installing system updates. Execute the following chain of commands:

wget -qO - https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key|sudo apt-key add - && sudo echo "deb http://eddie.website/repository/apt stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/eddie.list && apt-get update
If there were no errors, install Eddie with this:

sudo apt-get install eddie-ui

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have followed your second recommendation and eddie-ui is now running properly on my OS.
I have some questions about the commands I've entered to setup eddie-ui:

1. I cannot find the eddie-ui repository in /etc/apt/sources.list. Which directory is it in?

2. Does the eddie-ui repo exist solely in the Debian 'main' archive area? In other words, is it endorsed by Debian?

3.To open eddie-ui I need to give root password. So am I running eddie-ui (or Airvpn) as root or user?

I would be grateful to know the answers.
Also thank you again for helping me open eddit-ui.
I still cannot access the vpn because I keep getting the error message 'checking route ipv6 failed'.
However I will open a new thread as this one has been resolved successfully.

5 hours ago, Ricardo Gomez said:

1. I cannot find the eddie-ui repository in /etc/apt/sources.list. Which directory is it in?

Debian tries to "directorize" custom configuration files for a better overview. You will find a general configuration in a program's /etc directory put there by a package maintainer. In it, one or more include statements are used to include one or more additional directories with custom configuration options. Generally, a (program name).(original file ending).d scheme is used. Putting config files in there will be applied as well, but are separated from the main configuration.

So if in /etc/apt there is an apt.conf file, there's also an apt.conf.d directory in which you will find custom configuration. The same goes for sources.list, in which more or less strictly Debian distribution repositories are listed, and the sources.list.d directory for everything custom.
Ergo, the additional Eddie repository is located in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.

2. Does the eddie-ui repo exist solely in the Debian 'main' archive area? In other words, is it endorsed by Debian?

You shouldn't mix it up. Custom repositories can be named whatever you want. Some maintainers like keeping them to Debian's definition of repository names, ergo, main for software with DFSG-compliant licenses. Any custom repostories are used at one's own risk, functionally but also in regards to security. The owner of those repos is responsible.

3.To open eddie-ui I need to give root password. So am I running eddie-ui (or Airvpn) as root or user?

If the root password is requested, then probably as root. On Eddie 2.18.x (in the testing repository, I gave you the stable with 2.16.x) PolicyKit is used, therefore Mono and Eddie are run as user.

However I will open a new thread as this one has been resolved successfully.

You are a god! Thank you for this :D

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.