Not connected, Your IP: 34.201.37.128
curhen57

Would AirVPN work well with Pi-Hole?

Lately, I've come across the Pi-Hole, a program for the Raspberry Pi which basically turns the device into an advanced adblocker which you can connect your computer to via DNS. It sounded very fascinating as it could do the work of your typical browser adblocker but potentially freeing the use of one, thus reducing any browser entropy that could uniquely identify you - whether you're using a VPN or not.

Pi-Hole website link here. Check it out!

What I want to know is whether or not AirVPN would work well with the Pi-Hole if I had to replace the VPN's DNS with the devices. Are there any noteworthy features of AirVPN's DNS I would be giving up in exchange?

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, curhen57 said:

Are there any noteworthy features of AirVPN's DNS I would be giving up in exchange?

There will be no rerouting. And your DNS requests will be out in the open again.
I think you can connect the Pi to AirVPN as well, then you can set AirDNS as your upstream DNS server. But thinking about it, I'm not sure whether you get rerouted by this, definitely an idea for an experiment. :) Even if it fails, connecting to AirVPN will effectively encrypt your DNS queries, and that's an advantage on its own.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

2 minutes ago, giganerd said:

There will be no rerouting. And your DNS requests will be out in the open again.
I think you can connect the Pi to AirVPN as well, then you can set AirDNS as your upstream DNS server.
Sort of what I was thinking. I plan to get a router in which I can install AirVPN then connect the Pi to it through ethernet.

Hmm. I have a little doubt this will work right away (with additional configuration, maybe) because AirDNS is only reachable from within the tunnel. But I'm curious what you achieve. Please let us know of the progress. :)

I can confirm that it's working on Pi-Hole directly. According to the query log, queries are being routed through the AirVPN tunnel this way. I think I will leave it at that and maybe increase gravity. :D
I like the general wording of the whole project, by the way. Pi-Hole as in wormhole, and Gravity as a description of the blacklist, soaking in anything that is too heavy on privacy, to be accelerated, squashed and burned in the process. :D

Now I'm interested if the same is working when OpenWRT does the connection and Pi-Hole is connected to that router. :)