Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.222.152
2975863j

Easy and cheap to get your whole network using AirVPN

I thought I would just post this here as a bit of advice to folks like myself who know a bit about computers and networking but not really that much.
In the past I have spent hours trying to get AirVPN set up on DD-WRT, PFSense and OpenWRT - basically I spent hours and hours, ending up with something functioning (pfSense - thanks to the guide here) eventually.

After my pfSense box died, I bricked two DD-WRT routers trying to set them up again, and spend hours trying to work out OpenWRT.
Eventually I ordered a GL.iNET micro router. It took about 10 minutes to get it working properly behind my ISP router - wish I had bought one ages ago!

I haven't seen a lot of info suggesting using these routers but I can recommend them, especially for the ease of use.
If anyone knows of other devices which are mostly plug and play it would be good to get a hardware list for all the non-techies who want a vpn but can't set up more involved options.
The more of the internet that is encrypted the better as far as I'm concerned!

40 minutes ago, JemTheWire said:

I have added an AirVPN OpenVPN client profile to my Asus RT-AX88U. No extra hardware required at all.

Yeah, the ASUS routers are supposed to be good. That was my first simple option.
Unfortunately the one I bought (on ebay) had some random problem where it wouldn't accept changes in some settings, so that was a few days wasted!
Glad yours works though. I bet the wifi range is a lot better than my micro router.

I was going to suggest Turris Omnia here, remembering a few threads about it in the past. But on closer look it's a bit costly and definitely not an appliance-like solution. Lots of potential for tinkering, though, and a recommended router for similar use cases. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

SG 1100 from Netgate.

i have 2 of their products (but in the 300+ dollar range). one primary and one as a backup.    100% reliable as the person who programs it