Not connected, Your IP: 52.55.19.189
anormalvpnuser

pfSense + AirVPN + Squid Proxy? Does that work and how?

Hi everyone,

'm running a home network with pfSense and AirVPN, and I set this up following the instructions here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/17444-how-to-set-up-pfsense-23-for-airvpn/

pfSense Version: 2.4.4-RELEASE-p2

What I would like to know is how I can set up the Squid Proxy to cache all the frequent web content, without compromising my VPN. I'm fine to start off with HTTP traffic as this is still quite a big chunk in our browsing at home, however ultimately I'd love to cache the HTTPS as well, just conscious that this is a lot more complex, as the certificates will show invalid in the browsers...

First question: proxy interface - which one do I bind this to?

- AIRVPN_LAN

- AIRVPN_WAN

- WAN

- loopback

(again, the above per the guide I followed to the dot above).

Proxy Port: 3128 - is that fine, do I need a NAT rule or anything for this to work?

'm quite lost and it doesn't seem like there is much documentation on how to achieve this.

Thanks for your help guys!

In the past squid proxy and openvpn usage didn't play well together.  What was meant to go through openvpn tunnel was in the clear.  I don't know if that's still the case.

Just for caching (and not some filtering/hotspot) it is not recommended to do it.

Unless you frequently download the same content from the same remote origin from multiple devices frequently.

These days browsers and remote servers manage caching in a much more efficient way.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.