Not connected, Your IP: 54.159.116.24
Sign in to follow this  
Healey

pfSense DNS server with my ISP

Hi,

My knowledge of networks and pfSense is quite small - but its been fun having a go !

So - I have set up pfSense on an old desktop PC and have had a little bit of success with it.
I used this guide to get it installed with VPN. https://airvpn.org/topic/17444-how-to-set-up-pfsense-23-for-airvpn/?do=findComment&comment=40144
Many thanks to pfSense_fan for that brilliant tutorial.

That eventually worked out OK after a very steep learning curve. I then decided I needed to allow some of my connected devices to bypass the VPN. In order to do this I used the end of this tutorial https://protonvpn.com/support/pfsense-vpn-setup/

That worked well, except that it stated in that tutorial " Now this device will be excluded and will be visible under your ISP’s IP Address. However it will still use the VPN’s DNS Server. "

This is actually what happens when I bypass the vpn with one of my attached devices and then go to ipleak.net I can see my ISP's address but it shows airVPN DNS server !

No matter what I tried I could not change this situation.

So my question is :

Is this good practice to use a non VPN connection but use airVPN DNS server ???

Is there any reason to be concerned ???

Thanks

While his guide was great and I say that having helped and tested with that guide. However, a few things have changed in 2.4 over 2.3. Your setup sounds like it's using the service's DNS, but it's still routing out through your WAN. Follow the guide below. It's much more up to date and in-depth. You can remove the parts about VLAN's if you don't need them. Cheers.

https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-baseline-setup/

Many Thanks for your reply.

I have seen that document before. It is a fantastic document, BUT it is way to complex for me.
I really don't need that amount of features because its only for a home network - Just two people.
AND I really don't know how I would ignore the VLAN stuff and still get it to work - Another layer of complication.
I am also concerned about how I would share my network printer using that system - but that's for another day.

What I was hoping for is the following two points:

#1. Route some of my devices over AirVPN servers using AirVPN DNS servers.
#2. Route the rest of my devices over my ISP's servers using my ISP's DNS servers.

I have accomplished point #1 and it works very well according to IPleak.net

Point #2 Works OK BUT, it uses AirVPN DNS servers instead of the ISP's DNS servers according to IPleak.net !

If I could just get the above to work, then I would have a really good basis from which to learn all the other features.

And finally:
Is the system that I have been able to achieve, a reasonable one ??
Can anybody see any problems with it ??

Many thanks