Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.152.251
Erdrick

ANSWERED Port Forwarding - ports not remotely connectable

Hello,

in the past I was able to port forward using AirVPN without issue, but now with my Edgerouter-X I'm having trouble. If I use the test option or a site like canyouseeme it reports a timeout and that the port isn't connectable even when it should be open and in use.

Do I need to do something akin to this topic to get things working?: https://airvpn.org/topic/9270-how-to-forward-ports-in-dd-wrt-tomato-with-iptables/

I'm not sure how to change IPtables with my current router, nor what to do to get things working properly; I'm far from an expert on these matters.

Any advice to sort this out would be appreciated. I've already set the ports to forward in the site, and I had it working in the past, but now with my new modem and router, no luck.

For clarity I think what you mean is you were able to forward ports without problem using Eddie (AirVPN software) but now that you use your edgerouter as openvpn client you have problems.

I did a quick web search and it looks like there's plenty of help on this topic.  You can do it through the web GUI of your router by creating DNAT and firewall rules.

@Erdrick, we need a bit more understanding on your current set up.

Where are you running your Vpn from? The router I suppose?

What firmware do you have on your router? DDWRT?

The thread you are referring to explains indeed how to include some necessary code in the router gui to make it work. If your router has the DDWRT or Tonato firmware.

@Erdrick, we need a bit more understanding on your current set up.

Where are you running your Vpn from? The router I suppose?

What firmware do you have on your router? DDWRT?

The thread you are referring to explains indeed how to include some necessary code in the router gui to make it work. If your router has the DDWRT or Tonato firmware.

No, iptables are not created in the GUI on ddwrt or tomato. 

Hi,

I also am having a similar problem. I just switched ISPs and have a new modem from that provider.

1)The port in question remains forwarded in Eddie's client area.

2)The port in question remains open in torrent application.

1)When testing in client area on AirVpn website it says: "not reachable on server IP over the external port 'xxxxx', tcp protocol. Error 110 - Connection timed out.

2)When testing on CanYouSeeMe it says port is closed despite the torrent application being open and the same port being forwarded on AirVPn's client area.

Can someone help?

Edit: Not sure if this is relevant but I am using Eddie 2.16.3; I have two dns servers associated with my modem and had dns leaks so had to establish a static dns for IPV4 in network adapter settings (10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1) and the ip address used for the final digits was between 100 and 200 (I used 177). After establishing a static IP address, I no longer looped when trying to connect to an airvpn server however this port issue exists.

Hi,

I also am having a similar problem. I just switched ISPs and have a new modem from that provider.

1)The port in question remains forwarded in Eddie's client area.

2)The port in question remains open in torrent application.

1)When testing in client area on AirVpn website it says: "not reachable on server IP over the external port 'xxxxx', tcp protocol. Error 110 - Connection timed out.

2)When testing on CanYouSeeMe it says port is closed despite the torrent application being open and the same port being forwarded on AirVPn's client area.

Can someone help?

Edit: Not sure if this is relevant but I am using Eddie 2.16.3; I have two dns servers associated with my modem and had dns leaks so had to establish a static dns for IPV4 in network adapter settings (10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1) and the ip address used for the final digits was between 100 and 200 (I used 177). After establishing a static IP address, I no longer looped when trying to connect to an airvpn server however this port issue exists.

The OP of this thread is wanting to use the openvpn client on a router.  That's not what you are doing.

Port forwarding through the VPN tunnel to the Eddie app has nothing to do with what router you have.  Everything goes through the encrypted VPN connection, the router cannot affect it at all.

If you've seen a change in behavior with a new router it's just coincidence.

If you had/have DNS leaks it sounds like you're not using network lock in Eddie.

Hi go55,

Thanks for your message.

Any tips for:

Could it have to do with windows 7 firewall rules? I reset/defaulted all windows 7 firewall rules. Do I need to change anything in there to allow port forwarding?

Edit: I’ve isolated the problem. It’s a Windows Firewall issue. When I have windows firewall activated and use airvpn then I can’t make use of open ports in client area. However, when I take windows firewall off and then login to airvpn and use the airvpn program I can see the port open. So it’s a windows firewall issue. Not sure why this is or how to fix it. Tips?

Hey guys, I was unclear in my original post. I actually wasn't trying to use the VPN on my router because I don't want all my traffic through the VPN, just my server. I figured out my issue though, as manually port forwarding port 1194 on my router to the intended computer, and then opening that port in the windows firewall has resolved my problems.

To SummerBloom91, I was able to resolve my own firewall issues by clicking on advanced settings, then under inbound rules create a few new rules. For me I created a rule for port 1194 TPC, one for 1194 UDP (the port OpenVPN communicates over,) and then one more for the torrent program in TCP. You need to add a rule that opens the proper port via the firewall that you want to use with the torrent program.

My issue is sorted though so this thread can be locked and closed, and Summer should start their own thread.