Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.249.211
Sanctioner

Really Slow Upload Speed (Download speed mostly ok)

Hello,

I receive 100 mbps down and 100 mpbs up when using the eddie client on windows.  There is no discernible performance hit compared to my fios speed, of which i pay for exactly that: 100 mbps down and 100 mpbs up.

I disconnected from eddie and began using my fedora router's openvpn client so my whole network can win.  my speeds are now 80 mbps down and 5 mbps up.  I'm less concerned about the 80 mbps down, but 5 mbps up is alarming.

The Fedora router hardware is 1.1 mHz quad channel cpu, 8gb ddr3 ram, better spec'ed than most routers.

I am using tcp to connect, but i don't think that is responsible for the 95% reduction in speed.

What should i look for to troubleshoot or change to tweak this close to what my isp allows?

thanks,

Sanc

I've also noticed quite slow UL speed in torrents. Speedtest.net shows normal performance but torrent uploading is slow. My normal UL speed is 1.6 MB/s but for the last couple of days the UL speed has varied between 300 kB - 1 MB/s. I have a lot of torrents being seeded so it doesn't take long to get things running at maximum speed without the VPN.

EDIT: I added a graph of VPN speeds over the last 7 days or so. As you can see, the speed has been gradually going down from my normal ones when I launched the client.

My Windows box uses udp.  I can switch to udb on the linux box and it may increase a bit, but that wouldn't cause a 20-fold increase in speed.

I tried a different speed test and i was getting much better results, but the same speedtest was used in both linux and windows and got much different results.

i'll try udp tomorrow anyways and see what happens.

I switched to udp but it made no discernible difference.  The variability was within standard deviation.

I did, however, retry one of the tests, and the speed improved without making any changes.  Maybe there was some issue at the internet somewhere.  It is still low, about 70 mbps up, but is tolerable