Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.214.32
sableslayer

starting Eddie it askes for a password?

Starting Eddie it asks for a password every time. is there a user group i can add myself so i can avoid this and have it just autostart without me entering my password everytime?

Thank you for your time and your help would be much appropriated!

I've heard of this inconvenience before. Many users complained about the security measures some distros employ as a nuisance and having to enter a passphrase AGAIN for a VPN, well that's just ludicrous.

Some users have taken action against these ridiculous security measures by: 

1- Leaving the machine open and running, never shutting it down even in a wi-fi hotspot coffee shot

2- Having a close friend or random person enter the passphrase for them

3- Run a bash script from the fine folks at Hackers-R-us, they promise not to wannacry your machine

4- Some users suggest using a 'free' VPN because they don't use security at all which really does help keep carpo-tunnel at bay from typing passphrases in all day long

5- The best solution obviously, is to not use a Distro or VPN that needs a passphrase in the first place

**These are just jokes - don't sacrifice security for convenience**

While inradius is totally right, you can create a custom polkit rule to get around the password prompt. The following assumes your user is in the wheel group (can use sudo) and you are using GNU/Linux (which I assume you do).

Create a new file under /etc/polkit-1/rules.d named "49-eddie_nopasswd.rules" (or anything similar to that) with the following content:

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if ((action.id == "org.airvpn.eddie.ui.policy")  && subject.isInGroup("wheel"))
    {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});

Again, think twice if you really want to "sacrifice security for convenience".

To make it stop asking password I edit line "<allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>" in "/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.airvpn.eddie.ui.policy'' to "yes" from "auth_admin". I think this needs to be done after every app update.

I have no idea is this a security issue for normal pc user.

To make it stop asking password I edit line "<allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>" in "/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.airvpn.eddie.ui.policy'' to "yes" from "auth_admin". I think this needs to be done after every app update.

It's never a good idea to alter the original polkit file - that's why I posted an alternative solution above that doesn't touch the original file which has the added benefit that you'll have to do it only once and not overwrite the file after every update.