Not connected, Your IP: 54.234.136.147
Sign in to follow this  
George123

Network Lock - lan not working since 2.13.6

Hi, 

I've noticed when using Eddie versions after above, and Network Lock is on, that I can no longer see my NAS on my local network. 

As soon as I disable the lock, the NAS reappears.

I've downgraded to 2.13.6 and it works fine, but this is an old version using an older OpenVPN, so I'd like to get to the bottom of this if possible!

I'm using MacOS High Sierra, but I have the same trouble under Debian and Ubuntu too. 

Have the firewall rules changed since 2.13.6?

Regards, 

George

Ok, I've been investigating, and my initial diagnoses was incorrect. 

It turns out I can access the local area network directly via 192.168.*.* addresses when Network Lock is on. 

What has stopped working consistently since 2.13.6 however, is the ability to seamlessly view and access my advertised Synology NAS and its shared folders in the Finder - using Bonjour/Zeroconf. 

In the Diskstation web interface under the File Services -> Advanced dialogue are the following:

• Bonjour
  • SSDP
  • WS-Discovery

WS-Discovery was not ticked, however the first two were. Maybe this is a new option introduced with an Diskstation update, and maybe later versions of Eddie need this feature to work with Network Lock?

Anyway, since enabling this, it seems to work as before.

Hope this will help someone else!

Regards,

George

Hi again,

I spoke too soon. Turns out I'm still having problems with my Synology NAS on my LAN when Network Lock is enabled.

In the Mac Finder, before Eddie is launched, I see my partner's laptop and the Diskstation advertised.

As soon as I launch Eddie and enable Network Lock, the Synology vanishes from the Finder list, and any current NAS mounts (i.e. Music) no longer work. Strangely, I can still see my partner's Macbook.

As soon as I disable Network Lock, the DriveStation will sometimes reappear on its own, sometimes I have to relaunch the Finder or disconnect/reconnect the WiFi connection.

As I said previously, this used to work fine in Eddie versions prior to 2.13.6. I have the same problem under Debian and Arch too.

This is so frustrating as you can imagine, I cannot listen to my music when using Eddie.

Any ideas, anyone else having these issues? Short of not using Network Lock, or reverting to a previous Eddie version, I'm not sure what I can do.

Thanks,

George

I just discovered a workaround:

In Finder, I can choose Go -> Connect to Server...

then enter the local IP address of the DiskStation: eg. 192.168.0.4

This then brings up a dialog to choose which shared folder to mount.

So, it seems the new Network Lock with lan/private ticked does allow LAN access, but there are issues with Bonjour service discovery or at least the way that Synology implemented it on the DiskStation.

Regards,

G

The reason is likely that once you connect to Airvpn (using default DNS settings) your DNS servers are changed to Airvpn. These are not able to resolve local hostnames such as your Synology box. LAN connections via IP address will continue to work as long as those are not blocked by Network Lock (the lan/private option). It's best to use fixed ip addresses and you can also add entries to your host file (/etc/hosts on GNU/Linux).