Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.37.169
mitch84208

ANSWERED New User - Slow speeds, have tried everything!

Good evening everyone!

I am about half-way through my 1 month first subscription.  AirVPN was first on my list of vendors to try from due to its overwhelming recommendations from friends and colleagues.  I am from the Midwest US and my ISP is Cox.  I am using Eddie and am having some issues regarding speeds.  I am running Eddie in its own Windows 10 VM on my Windows 10 desktop.  I get full speeds (300/30) when not connected to VPN, so i am pretty sure my networking is all setup and OK.

After connecting to AirVPN, i consistently hit around 10% of my speeds.  I have tried just about everything i can think of, and before giving up on this service, i am turning to the forums for help!  

I have tried all of the US servers individually with all protocols and it doesn't seem to affect my speeds all that much.  Even with SSL/SSH, i am seeing the same results as TCP/UDP.  I have changed my send/receive buffers to 256 and 512, with no noticable changes.  I have also tried the following custom directives in OVPN - "sndbuf 524288", "rcvbuf 524288", and "mssfix 1442" with no noticable difference.  I have rolled back my TAP driver and am currently on 9.9.2.9 in device manager (says 9.0.0.9 in device manager).

After making any changes, i check all ports and all servers with low ping and recommended auto server selection.  

I must be missing something!  I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  If logs are needed, kindly let me know which ones and how to pull them for you, that won't be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem when I started a few years ago. This worked for me.

Go into the settings. Click "Advanced" and change the TCP/UDP send and receive buffers to 256kb. Then try a speedtest and see if that helped. It has done the trick for others having speed troubles.

Good Luck!

I had the same problem when I started a few years ago. This worked for me.

Go into the settings. Click "Advanced" and change the TCP/UDP send and receive buffers to 256kb. Then try a speedtest and see if that helped. It has done the trick for others having speed troubles.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply.  Maybe my description in the original post wasn't clear enough.  I have tried Auto, 256kb and 512kb already.  512kb is what i currently have it set to, as it seems to give me the best results so far.

Murphys Law, i guess.  i waited until i was out of options and ideas to post here and then i figured it ouoitut.  i am sorry for any inconvenience!

It appears that my VM was to blame.  i assigned more virtual CPUs and my speed skyrocketed.  i am getting around 150mb down of my regular 220mb, which i feel is acceptable.  

now for a couple questions:  A) is this an acceptable speed or should i look for more?  i am not being picky, but would rather just makesue sure it was configured correctly.    is this a valid resolution that makes sense? is it the encryption that requires more CPU?

thanks again!

Murphys Law, i guess.  i waited until i was out of options and ideas to post here and then i figured it ouoitut.  i am sorry for any inconvenience!

It appears that my VM was to blame.  i assigned more virtual CPUs and my speed skyrocketed.  i am getting around 150mb down of my regular 220mb, which i feel is acceptable.  

now for a couple questions:  A) is this an acceptable speed or should i look for more?  i am not being picky, but would rather just makesue sure it was configured correctly.    is this a valid resolution that makes sense? is it the encryption that requires more CPU?

thanks again!

yes and yes

encryption/decryption is CPU intensive!