Not connected, Your IP: 18.116.50.45
ableounceony

Could VPN Use Cause High Uncorrectables in Cable Modem?

I've been having trouble with high numbers of uncorrectables showing up on the status page of my cable modem for months now (I've attached a current screenshot showing uncorrectables mostly received over the last 6 days):

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31444789-NV-Ongoing-Uncorrectables-T3s-T4s-Reboots-in-Las-Vegas-un-FIXED

Recently, a Cox (my ISP) employee asked if the uncorrectables went away if I stopped using my VPN.  I can't see how VPN use could lead to uncorrectables at the cable modem level (the traffic is encrypted before hitting the cable modem and it just encapsulates the packets regardless of content -- ditto in reverse on the way back).  Is there any way VPN use could lead to uncorrectables?  Could there be a server issue (Merope)?

As far as I know the two are completely unrelated.  But, employees of many services are being told that VPNs are the devil so this is par for the course.

No, you need to get a tech to actually look at line noise in the area.

Yeah, I'm constantly told VPNs are evil and the cause of all problems.  I'm also told it's my pfSense box that's the cause of my ills.  It's amazing what these companies will come up with to excuse problems at their end.

I've had techs out repeatedly.  They replaced my line to the tap and did something at the tap, itself, that fixed the issue for about 3 weeks.  Unfortunately, the uncorrectables have come back with a vengeance.  Looks like I'm going to have to schedule tech #4.  Ugh.

It's noise in the area most likely.  That is, between the tap your wherever the area transitions to fiber.  So, making sure things at your residence are correct is good but the problem is likely bigger.  They may be unwilling or unable to truly fix the problem.

I had the same issues with my cable modem a few months ago and it was due to a bad TAP at my house and the TAP at the pole was bad.  It could also be caused by bad cables as well.  You need to have a tech come out.  The uncorrectables have nothing to do with your VPN.