Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.102.143
nsfu

Port Forwarding/Public IP -

I have a simple question. I am having difficulties connecting to my services remotely on my Asus RT-AC56U (Updated factory firmware). I am trying to connect to Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet, Headphones. I have setup port forwarding on the airVPN site, forwarded the ports on my router and setup a DDNS through asuscomm.com. Using this method I was able to connect to Plex without any issues but for some reason now when I try to setup the others I am unable to connect via my router <router.ext.ip:port> or my <DDNS:port>. I am able to connect to my aicloud via the DDNS though.

Am I missing something here? If I check the TCP on the airVPN site for my forwarded ports they all are green but if I then go to a port checking site and check my <router.ext.ip:port> it says they are closed. But if I check the <Mapped to public IP (from airVPN Forwarded Ports page):port> on the site it says it is open. If I type <Mapped to public IP (from airVPN Forwarded Ports page):port> in my browser then it appears to go to the page because it comes up with a login. I assume the login is for my router. I have not put in the credentials because it is not a secure connection.

I am just trying to understand exactly which IP I should be using to reach my services remotely? Do I use the router external IP (WAN) or do I use the airVPN Mapped to public IP for the forwarded port? 

Thanks

Apparently I DO NOT get this port forwarding through AirVPN. I have read through tons of posts but there is no clear cut explanation of how to get this to work. Here are a couple questions that I cannot seem to get an answer on.

• From what I have read I only forward the ports through AirVPN and NOT forward the ports on my Asus Router. Is this correct?  
  • Do I need to use iptables to get this working? If so, do I need Merlin in order to create/use iptables or can I use/install them in the latest factory firmware? It seems like everyone in the forums are using Merlin and iptables. I cannot seem to find anyone that has got this to work with factory firmware.
  • I am just trying to understand exactly which IP I should be using to reach my services remotely? Do I use the router external IP (WAN) or do I use the airVPN Mapped to public IP for the forwarded port? 

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

What device is running the openvpn client?

1. If you're using the Eddie (AirVPN) software on a PC then you're correct in your assessment that you do not need to forward ports in any way on your router if you're wanting to access services through the VPN tunnel.  And to access those services you'd go via the exit IP of the VPN server to which you're connected.
  2. But, if you're connecting with Eddie yet still want to access services on your router NOT via the VPN tunnel then you'll need to figure that out on your own.  As that has nothing to do with AirVPN that would be off topic for this forum.
  3. If your router is running the openvpn client then you will need to forward ports on the router using iptables as you have read.  Whether or not you can access services on the router through the VPN tunnel it's creating is unknown to me.  I've read of another user having trouble doing so.  But, forwarding ports to other devices on your LAN is common practice.  It's accessing the router itself that may be a problem.

Hey thanks for chiming in. Just so I understand clearly...

My home network consists of a Asus RT-AC56U router running updated firmware. I have a Media computer (Linux Mint 18) that I use for Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet, Headphones, Plex, etc. I have Eddie installed on this computer. I do not have OpenVPN installed on the router as I do not need all computers on the VPN at this time. 

From what you are saying I would go to the AirVPN client area and forward the ports for each of the services (Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet, Headphones, Plex, etc) I want to access remotely. Once this is done I should then be able to access those services by using the exit IP and forwarded port from the VPN server I am connected to. This is where I need some clarification...is the 'exit IP' the same as "Mapped to public IP: 199.xxx.xxx.xxx" that is listed under the forwarded port on the 'Forwarded ports' page? 

Thanks again!

Hey thanks for chiming in. Just so I understand clearly...

My home network consists of a Asus RT-AC56U router running updated firmware. I have a Media computer (Linux Mint 18) that I use for Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet, Headphones, Plex, etc. I have Eddie installed on this computer. I do not have OpenVPN installed on the router as I do not need all computers on the VPN at this time. 

From what you are saying I would go to the AirVPN client area and forward the ports for each of the services (Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet, Headphones, Plex, etc) I want to access remotely. Once this is done I should then be able to access those services by using the exit IP and forwarded port from the VPN server I am connected to. This is where I need some clarification...is the 'exit IP' the same as "Mapped to public IP: 199.xxx.xxx.xxx" that is listed under the forwarded port on the 'Forwarded ports' page? 

Thanks again!

yes, that's the IP.