Not connected, Your IP: 34.227.112.145

Sorry if someone posted this already.  I gave the Forums a decent look, but didn't see anything. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/23/521253258/u-s-senate-votes-to-repeal-obama-era-internet-privacy-rules

A lousy step backwards thanks to new FCC Chairman Ajit Pai.  

Ugh, I've got to figure out Linux... add it to my to-do list.  Not enough hours in the day.  I run pretty tight Win7 installs, selective KB installations, limiting telemetry as much as possible... using Simplix or the like on any installs. 

Oh, here's another crap news item which is beginning to cause problems for people running Win7 installs w/ newer processors..

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3183642/microsoft-windows/search-begins-for-workarounds-to-microsofts-win781-on-kaby-lakeryzen-patch-ban.html

and

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

Thanks. 

For my American friends, or really anyone who still uses Windows 7 etc. (no judgment, as I am guilty of having an older Gaming PC with JC3, GTA V etc)

Be warned: Its experimental/under dev

https://bitbucket.org/ancile_development/ancile/overview

Perhaps this would be of assistance. 

The latest Senate vote in your country really shows the hostility/ignorance to privacy/encryption.  However I am certain hopefully this will be a golden opportunity for provides like AirVPN.  I'm sure VPN use will also most likely be up!  However, just a matter of time before they try to kill/outlaw Encryption.  But we will be ready!

The most likely scenario of repealing Net Neutrality in the states will be most likely a boost to torrents and decentralizing information once again.

As monopolistic ISP will most likely attempt to monetize unsecured data and secure data from partners (Google, Apple, Twitter, Facebook, etc) as soon as they can if they haven't already have systems in place.  Throttling, all the old tricks.  Charging more for Hulu, Spotify, Netflix etc.   Solarmovie, 123Movies, or sites not on the "basic" package of the approved internet will most likely be charged more.  However, the market will most likely push for specialty niche ISPs like in my home country.  I do not know how it works in the states.

Think of it as self-regulation  in order to maximize profit off of you, the consumer. The good news is:  Young people in particular care passionately about this.  Go do something about it!  I personally gave EFF a donation.  If you live in the US don't let your public officials get away with it.  Keep the heat on them.  Watch out Canada I'm sure you are next.

Sorry to go off topic,

For my primary machine I use a series of Vboxes, and the host is of course Linux.

I personally like the Mint Linux flavor, but to each his/her own!

Hi Daberg!  Great follow-up.  I too have given to the EFF... such a great organization, very informative.  hah... they are actually the impetus for my using a VPN!  (although when I contacted them, this is going back a few years... they did not recommend any VPNs or offer any advice when choosing a VPN -that may have changed since my original query years ago).  Funny you mention Ancile!   I've looked at it... yes, it is something I am exploring.  It's a fairly straightforward interface and from a cursory trial run on one of my secondary machines, it does a good job.  I own my machines, not MS... sure, they have a fancy EULA agreement, but I paid for these machines... they have no right to exploit me for using their OS (but ofc they argue otherwise).

So, back to your point... Linux.  I need to figure it out.  I just don't have a lot of time to spend on the learning curve.  

If a... Hmmm, "computer enthusiast", knowledge-level person were to start implenting/using Linux Mint, for e.g., from scratch... what's the learning curve, or approx. time to become efficient enough w/ Linux to run either a Dual Boot, or VM -so I can do my Windows software work?   I.e., do my work that pays the bills!    I have a disabled SSD in my main machine just waiting to figure out Linux (but I'm concerned my productivity will be crushed)... when I'm done w/ work, the last thing I typically want to do is sit at my computer... BUT, I shall sacrifice if in your opinion it doesn't take one all that long to figure out Linux.  

Thanks for your feedback.  Agreed on many of your points.  Unfortunately, our current Executive in Chief doesn't even know how to use a computer -so I highly doubt we'll see a Veto of that deplorable PARTY LINE vote that just gave "PAID" ISPs the right to sell our information.  Rrrr... it makes my blood boil quite frankly.   

I liked this point of yours, "The good news is:  Young people in particular care passionately about this.".   I hope you're right!  I'm not old, but I'm not just out of H.S.  I know I'm passionate about this, but I'm always surprised how many people are apathetic w/ respect to the fundamental privacy issues, civil liberties, e.t., that are gradually being taken-away from individuals in this country.  I'd say 1 out of 10 , twenty-somethings I discuss privacy related are like most of us.  The remaining 90% brush-off privacy-minded issues giving the old "I have nothing to hide" reply.  Well, neither do I!  But, what if someday you valued your privacy?  Or what if someday, said apathetic individual uses Google to search "I'm sh*tting blood" one night, then finds his Health Insurance Premium increases 30% the following year bc some metadatabase collector has pin-pointed/accumulated his/her health/google queries? 

As a whole, I think you're right though... younger people do care.  I feel young, and am to some degree... I just don't have time to go get my Masters in Comp. Science atm.    

Peace, and thanks!

On 3/24/2017 at 6:12 PM, daberg said:

On 3/24/2017 at 10:42 PM, daberg said:
For my American friends, or really anyone who still uses Windows 7 etc. (no judgment, as I am guilty of having an older Gaming PC with JC3, GTA V etc)

Be warned: Its experimental/under dev

Perhaps this would be of assistance. 

The latest Senate vote in your country really shows the hostility/ignorance to privacy/encryption.  However I am certain hopefully this will be a golden opportunity for provides like AirVPN.  I'm sure VPN use will also most likely be up!  However, just a matter of time before they try to kill/outlaw Encryption.  But we will be ready!

The most likely scenario of repealing Net Neutrality in the states will be most likely a boost to torrents and decentralizing information once again.

As monopolistic ISP will most likely attempt to monetize unsecured data and secure data from partners (Google, Apple, Twitter, Facebook, etc) as soon as they can if they haven't already have systems in place.  Throttling, all the old tricks.  Charging more for Hulu, Spotify, Netflix etc.   Solarmovie, 123Movies, or sites not on the "basic" package of the approved internet will most likely be charged more.  However, the market will most likely push for specialty niche ISPs like in my home country.  I do not know how it works in the states.

Think of it as self-regulation  in order to maximize profit off of you, the consumer. The good news is:  Young people in particular care passionately about this.  Go do something about it!  I personally gave EFF a donation.  If you live in the US don't let your public officials get away with it.  Keep the heat on them.  Watch out Canada I'm sure you are next.

Sorry to go off topic,

For my primary machine I use a series of Vboxes, and the host is of course Linux.
I personally like the Mint Linux flavor, but to each his/her own!
I agree with your sharing helpful knowledge in this conversation...