Not connected, Your IP: 3.143.205.246
the1lemming

How do you choose a fast server?

Hello

This may seem like an obvious question to the IT Jedi of the forums, but how do you select a fast IP server to enter into your router to create a VPN Client?

I only ask as I am bewildered by the choice of available servers, especially from Europe where I live.  I have just done a simple experiment by picking three servers close to where I live and then running the AirVPN website's speed test.

One server was roughly 50km from my home and the other two servers were in neighbouring countries close to my home.

I was very surprised to find that the server in my home country, was a 30% slower than a server in a neighbouring European country.

Is there a way of working out the quickest server?

And how often should I check to see if this server is still performing well?

Cheers

The test on this web site is less than ideal.  You might want to re-test another way.

But, that's the way to do it.  Just trial and error.

Keep in mind that what works well one day may not work well the next and that's not Air's fault.  The internet is dynamic so a speedy route may cease to exist for one reason or another.

Surely there has to be a recognised method of choosing an AirVPN server that is performing well rather than leaving it to trial and error?

Surely there has to be a recognised method of choosing an AirVPN server that is performing well rather than leaving it to trial and error?

you can take a look at server stats, see which ones are loaded, see which ones are "closer" to you.  But, that's just a tiny fraction of the whole matter.  Your ISP, transit, peering - all that make up the route to and from the server - are what matters.  Air doesn't know the condition of that route.  Only you can know through testing.