Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.153.38
Sign in to follow this  
CSeW

Why can't I use my full bandwidth?

Hi!

When I connect to a server that is nowhere near its full bandwidth capacity, I normally get an about 40 MBit/s connection.

Why can't I get a much higher bandwidth? Are the load-displays of the servers just bullshit?

Even though I connect to servers with similar load, my max. bandwiths differ significantly.

What is the reason for this? Are the servers under a way higher load than displayed?

Thanks for your answers!

There are a great number of things that will affect you ability to reach your full potential bandwidth.  The load numbers are 100% accurate and stay updated live.  That is probably the smallest factor in your ability to hit potential bandwidth (unless the server is indeed overloaded).  Here are the more likely culprits:

1.   Latency (due to distance from the server).  Just all the loss as you get tangled in the weeds. Connect to the server closest to you for best results.  For example:   I get my full 50 when I connect to a server in my region of the U.S.  If I connect to Netherlands, I might hit 30 if I'm lucky.

2. Processing power:  It takes a good processor to calculate the level of encryption used here.  If you run the VPN service on a router or an old, low-end machine, you may be bottlenecked by the encryption processing.

3.  ISP related issues:  Just how and where things are routed.  For example: Some Comcast customers connecting to certain server hosting entities have a horrible experience, but if they connect to another company's servers, it's fine.  So maybe all Amanah Tech servers work great, but Nobis servers suck.  Not everyone has the same experience with the same servers.  

I may edit in some more reasons.

Just my experience. To get 100Mbps on Openvpn, you need a CPU running at 2.4GHz.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)