Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.97.104
spikey1973

tp-link tl-wr1043nd-v3, nas and dd-wrt

hello, 

newbee her, am interested in an airvpn subscription. 

i'm running an ubuntu laptop, nas (asustor) and printer (brother) behind a tl-wr1043nd-v3 tp-link router which is located behind a bbox3 modem/router. 

this router is connected via lan1 to wan connection. i use port-forwarding through the modem/router and through the router to my nas for outside access. 

i know the possibility to flash my router with dd-wrt firmware. dd-wrt is mentioned a few times on this forum / webpage. 

before i start flashing my router i would like to get confirmation that using dd-wrt is indeed necessairy over factory firmware to use airvpn, or that i can also use it as it is.  

any confirmation on this would be highly appreciated! 

kind regards 

Matthieu

if your router doesn't have an openvpn client stock then you'll need third party firmware like dd-wrt or openwrt.

don't expect high performance if you end up using it as an openvpn client.

thanks! that answer did raise 3 more questions though. 

1) which would be preferred dd-wrt vs openwrt. 

2) and you mean not to expect high performance when i use the router or when i use stock firmware as openvpn client? 

3) what do you mean with high performance? 

Kind regards 

Matthieu

additional: i was thinking about maybe using airvpn only for the internet traffic by my nas, not by my laptop to maintain normal speed for ordinairy traffic, while the nas runs 24/7 so speed is less an issue. 

the nas on it's own supports openvpn, my router doesn't. so if i keep my router standard and use my nas as openvpn client. it wouldlet my nas browse save behind airvpn and my laptop unsafe. 

but would this mean i can not wake up my nas on lan? as that would be a big issue. 

on the other hand is i install dd-wrt on my router and run it as openvpn client, it would mean that both my nas and my laptop air using airvpn but then i could wake-up my nas by lan. am i correct in these thoughts?

would there be a way to combine the two features? 

Kind regards 

Matthieu

2) and you mean not to expect high performance when i use the router or when i use stock firmware as openvpn client?

3) what do you mean with high performance?

Don't expect high performance with a router in general. Its slow CPUs are not capable of doing much encryption/decryption of AES-256, the cipher used to encrypt your traffic to the OpenVPN server.

High performance: If your internet connection is faster than 10 Mb, don't use OpenVPN on the router or you will be capped.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.