Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.171.121
the1lemming

95% reduction on VPN speeds. Any reason why?

Hello

I have successfully been able to follow the DD-WRT tutorial to turn my router into a VPN Client.  The only problem is that I am experiencing a 95% reduction in my internet download speeds.

I hope that you would agree that this is a large hit to take in download speeds for using VPN.  Normally I connect to the internet with the AirVPN software on my desktop computer and get a 10% drop in download speeds which I find very acceptable but a 95% reduction seems a bit too much.

Does anybody have any ideas why my router would be giving me so slow a download speed?

Bit of an update.  I have just worked out how to change servers, which for me is a big thing considering my pitiful IT skills, and I can confirm that trying  a few different servers does not make any difference to download speeds.

Cheers

Hello

I have successfully been able to follow the DD-WRT tutorial to turn my router into a VPN Client.  The only problem is that I am experiencing a 95% reduction in my internet download speeds.

I hope that you would agree that this is a large hit to take in download speeds for using VPN.  Normally I connect to the internet with the AirVPN software on my desktop computer and get a 10% drop in download speeds which I find very acceptable but a 95% reduction seems a bit too much.

Does anybody have any ideas why my router would be giving me so slow a download speed?

Your router's CPU is likely too slow to encrypt and decrypt the traffic.

Routers that are capable of such a connection are quite expensive, it would be considerably easier just to stick with the desktop client.

FWIW I found that my Netgear R7000 gets completely saturated and will not cope when configured (AsusWRT Merlin firmware used) to be used by all of my devices for AirVPN.

So I have it configured to use most of our devices and PC's etc and it copes fine with them being routed through the VPN via the router. But my desktop PC is configured to use the WAN instead and so I use the desktop client for that. That means large and fast downloads gets full speed on my desktop PC and saves overwhelming the router. I also find the desktop client easy to use and swap servers as needed.

It also saves the expense of building a pfsense box and trying to get my weak and feeble brain around setting that up with AirVPN.