Not connected, Your IP: 18.224.63.61
juniormaxx

RT2600AC AIRVPN enabled and speed crashes

I set up the synology router and speed was great.  I loaded the AIRVPN information into the router and it was working great, my speed was 177 DL and 10.5 UL.  then it lost connection this morning and I had to reset to factory for some reason.  I set it all back up again and speed was the same, but as soon as I connect to AIRVPN my speed goes down to 10-12 DL and 8-9 UL.

I've hit the wall and can't figure it out.  i'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions to get my system back on track.

thanks

Mr. J

There is no way that your first speed results were correct.  I've never seen a router on the planet that could handle the encryption and still pump out that kind of speed.  I think you are just seeing the speeds you were actually getting all along.  Sometimes speed tests go wonky and give results that falsely look way too high.

There is no way that your first speed results were correct.  I've never seen a router on the planet that could handle the encryption and still pump out that kind of speed.  I think you are just seeing the speeds you were actually getting all along.  Sometimes speed tests go wonky and give results that falsely look way too high.

I'm not so sure.  if my old asus AC68 could do 50mbit then a late generation CPU at 1.7ghz may be able to do it.  but, I admit I had the same thought as you at first.

ok, maybe my numbers are off, but I still shouldn't be at 10-12 download speeds after I turn on the airvpn.  maybe you could ask a couple questions or some thoughts on what might be the issue first and try to help instead of being a dick about my error on the download speed.  i'm learning as I go and trying my best, but sometimes you need people with more experience.

HI all

I've got the same router (RT2600AC : Dual Core 1,7 GHz - 512 Mo Ram), and my connection speed is DL 120Mbps / UL 7Mbps without VPN.

When I activate the VPN (using ovpn protocol) only the download speed crashes down to 15Mbps.

I'm surely not expecting to reach full speed with the VPN activated but 15Mbps is incredibly slow ...
I've done some downloading tests monitoring the cpu charge of the RT2600AC and it only hit 30%, so I guess it may not be due to a hardware limitation.

Then, my question is : How can I improve the download speed ? / What could be slowing the speed ?

NB : I've also done some tests using the AirVpn Client (Eddie) directly on my computer (using the same servers and protocols) and my connection has not been affected ...

Available protocols on the router : PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec

Some help would be highly appreciated guys

Have a good day

Veil

Have you done a 30-30-30 reset? Maybe some residue left ... Otherwise you may take the risk and reflash to original firmware and redo dd-wrt conversion.