Not connected, Your IP: 54.210.83.20
tedreddy

Suggestions for Setting up Bitcoin Account - Beginner

In the past I have bought a Visa Debit Prepaid card in US to link to Paypal and use for paying Air subscription.  It was rejected a few weeks ago - apparently Paypal is becoming more strict on international transactions.  Avangate also failed.

What suggestions do Bitcoin users have for getting started with using Bitcoin (in US) to pay for subscriptions?

Thanks

Thank you Zhang - I took a quick look and will spend more time on it this weekend.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Hi, what I started doing was this.

Purchase an Amazon Gift Card with cash from some place like a 7-11,  Walgreens,  etc.

make an account on  localbitcoins.com   and search for people trading bitcoins for  Amazon Gift Cards.     Its usually straight forward, you upload them an image of the card with its receipt showing it was paid in cash, and that the numbers on the card match the receipt.  Some BTC sellers might have you write on the receipt, etc.

That's how I have started to acquire bitcoins as anonymously as possible.  It's not perfect because you can be ID'd  on camera buying it, but chances are tapes would be overwritten by then if someone came looking for you and you actually did anything warranting that kind of attention.

You WILL lose money on this process because of the BTC prices rising and falling,   but that is the price you pay for maintaining some level of anonymity.

spookygoy nailed exactly what i did, localbitcoin i made that account totally legit, sent in my id blah blah

that's my 'public' account, from there you can then do whatever and however you want to move things around

lots of guides and tuts online

i know some of the guides online have titles like 'how to buy xyz online anonymously' and yeah most folks know

what that is meant for but truth is that's also a good way to move xyz around and have a 'backup' for a rainy day

this is one of the things i learned from this forum and can't say thanx enough on coz even tho been around tech a bit

lots of areas didn't venture into, btc is one of them and i'm really glad i did

happy safe holidays to all if it applies

sincerely, cm0s

Is it garantee to receive the bitcoins, or could they not just not do the exchange?

It took a real long time before I decided to come here.  And even now, in the back of my mind, the voice says, this maybe a trap, like so many thongs on the internet.

The reason I came here, is the bit about the advocacy part.  Net neutrality, right to privacy, I am old so I know what pravicy means, but when I dedicded to go back to school, some people don't seem to grasp it. Sorry for long post.

Will give it a try.

Thanks. 

Is it garantee to receive the bitcoins, or could they not just not do the exchange?

It took a real long time before I decided to come here.  And even now, in the back of my mind, the voice says, this maybe a trap, like so many thongs on the internet.

The reason I came here, is the bit about the advocacy part.  Net neutrality, right to privacy, I am old so I know what pravicy means, but when I dedicded to go back to school, some people don't seem to grasp it. Sorry for long post.

Will give it a try.

Thanks. 

Seems like https://bitsquare.io/ should interest you

Back in early 2015 I purchased some bitcoin and a lot of it has been sitting as the price has increased dramatically.  When I purchased the price was around $240. 

I would meet a seller in person and give him/her cash and watch my wallet receive.  That was then, and I haven't had need to buy yet.

Interesting way to buy bitcoins - amazon gift cards.  I'll have to keep this in mind.

In the past I have bought a Visa Debit Prepaid card in US to link to Paypal and use for paying Air subscription.  It was rejected a few weeks ago - apparently Paypal is becoming more strict on international transactions.  Avangate also failed.

What suggestions do Bitcoin users have for getting started with using Bitcoin (in US) to pay for subscriptions?

Thanks

1. Create bitcoin wallets (here You store Your bitcoins). You don't need account to do so, You very well may create local wallet - best way is create two separate wallets (non anonymous, and anonymous one). I strongly advice to use open source wallets: electrum (windows, linux) and mycelium (ios, android). For example on Your computer create public one, on Your mobile (mycelium) 'anonymous'.

2. Buy some bitcoins via for example virwox: https://99bitcoins.com/buying-bitcoins-with-paypal-a-practical-guide/ However there is a lot services wehre You can but BTC paying locally (credit cards, express bank transfers etc.). Deposit those BTC in Your non-anonymous wallet. You may also try to find Bitcoin ATMs near You: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-atm-map/

3. Transfer to the second wallet via some bitcoin mixer (basically makes bitcoins very hard to track). I wholeheartedly recommend bitmixer.io Here You break link between Your PayPal account, credit card and Your BitCoins.

4. Pay AIR.

5. Profit!

best!