Not connected, Your IP: 3.136.154.103
Sign in to follow this  
Ricnvolved1956

Apple Facetime and AirVPN

Facetime works perfectly going through Air on my iPhone SE and iPad Mini3. However, Facetime doesn't work at all through Air on my iMac desktop. Is there anything I can do to make that possible?

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

What client are you using on your Mac? Certain clients mess with native apple services when VPNs are in use. Plugging up all the network adapters is a more finicky exercise on Mac than on some other OS. I don't seem to have this problem with the Eddie experimental build, but I do with Tunnelblick. Viscosity seems to work well too.

I was using the 2.10 client originally downloaded on my desktop when I began my subscription to Air. Opened a support ticket, explained the problem, and was directed to install the latest 2.11.x beta client. I did, and I still can't use Facetime through Air. I don't understand why it doesn't work on my desktop, but I have no problem at all using it through Air on my iPhone and Ipad.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

The two aren't comparable. They aren't the same thing at all. On the desktop you are using the Eddie client on Mac OSX. On the iPad you are using OpenVPN Connect on iOS. Different operating systems and different clients. On your Mac, try downloading Tunnelblick or Viscosity (I use viscosity) and run your .ovpn files through there. I don't have any issues with FaceTime when I do that.

Khariz-- Making an informed guess, is it likely Air will eventually finetune Eddie for Mac OSX such that it will eliminate the need to run Facetime through VIscosity? The reason I ask is because it costs $9 for VIscosity after the trial period. Nine dollars is no big deal for me, but if Air happens to update Eddie for Mac OSX in a few months and Facetime works with it.... would there be any practical reason to continue using Viscosity?

I think think they will indeed iron out Eddie for OS X. I mentioned some errors with the experimental build in Sierra, and they said OS X development is on pause while they fine tune windows. I think once the experimental build becomes the stable build, they will resume tweaking OS X version.

There may also already be an option for fixing the problem it Eddie, but if there is, I'm not aware of it. I use a couple other vpn providers as well, and some of them have fixed it in their clients and some haven't.