Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.12.242
Ricnvolved1956

A New Message Encryption Service

Much too rich for my blood, but pretty interesting.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/wickr-professional-encrypted-work-chat/amp/

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

Frankly, it's worthless. Anything that is not free software (free as in freedom), cannot possibly be trusted.

They demand "trust", but refuse to show you or anyone else how (or if) their software actually works. All sorts of companies promise the moon with this kind of thing, anything that is proprietary I would regard as snake oil.

Personally, I use OTR (Off the record) with Bitlbee to converse with those who also use it. With others, it's just a shrug and knowing the reality of of unencrypted XMPP.

Frankly, it's worthless. Anything that is not free software (free as in freedom), cannot possibly be trusted.

They demand "trust", but refuse to show you or anyone else how (or if) their software actually works. All sorts of companies promise the moon with this kind of thing, anything that is proprietary I would regard as snake oil.

Personally, I use OTR (Off the record) with Bitlbee to converse with those who also use it. With others, it's just a shrug and knowing the reality of of unencrypted XMPP.

The XMPP server I linked to REQUIRES encryption. And it is hosted by Air.

XMPP is an Open Standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMPP

And Pidgin is Open Sourced, freeware software. With a GPL license...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_(software)

So I fail to see how this does not work for you. But if you still do not like it, that is fine. I am only trying to clarify the points you seem to find lacking. They are actually some of the real strengths of the protocol and the software.

Nonetheless, the choice is yours. I wish you well.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Someone mentioned this encrypted messenger app in another topic thread and had high praise for it. Anyone else have any experience or knowledge about it?

Https://wire.com/privacy/

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

I think... he.. he meant Wickr, OmniNegro.

I initially thought that too, but the words "unencrypted XMPP" should not have anything at all to do with Wickr. Should it?

If that was the case, then I apologize. I am sure everyone can see how I came to think this was what he meant. And ultimately it does not matter.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

The XMPP server I linked to REQUIRES encryption. And it is hosted by Air.

XMPP is an Open Standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMPP

And Pidgin is Open Sourced, freeware software. With a GPL license...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_(software)

So I fail to see how this does not work for you. But if you still do not like it, that is fine. I am only trying to clarify the points you seem to find lacking. They are actually some of the real strengths of the protocol and the software.

Nonetheless, the choice is yours. I wish you well.

Ahem, I was replying to the OP.

I think... he.. he meant Wickr, OmniNegro.

I initially thought that too, but the words "unencrypted XMPP" should not have anything at all to do with Wickr. Should it?

If that was the case, then I apologize. I am sure everyone can see how I came to think this was what he meant. And ultimately it does not matter.

I use an OTR plugin for Bitlbee which together are used in instant messaging using the XMPP protocol. Sadly, many people don't seem to have any idea of or interest in things like OTR. In the old phrase "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink".

Anyway, let's not get silly or defensive about this shall we. Apology accepted without reservation, people misread forum posts all the time and/or get the wrong end of the stick.

My point about Wickr is that it is non-free (ie. secret) proprietary software. That should rule it out of any consideration for "security" and "encryption" etc. Who knows what it actually does.

Any opinions on these 6 messaging apps? They have the EFF's seal of approval. I noticed that Pidgin is one pointed out by OmniNegro in his post here.

https://www.inverse.com/article/11599-here-are-the-6-best-messaging-apps-for-privacy

I've been using Hangouts for a few years (huge mistake, I realize now) and now in the process of getting rid of it on all my devices. Google is perhaps as invasive as the NSA and I want to get as far away from Google as technically possible.

Any opinions on these 6 messaging apps? They have the EFF's seal of approval. I noticed that Pidgin is one pointed out by OmniNegro in his post here.

https://www.inverse.com/article/11599-here-are-the-6-best-messaging-apps-for-privacy

I've been using Hangouts for a few years (huge mistake, I realize now) and now in the process of getting rid of it on all my devices. Google is perhaps as invasive as the NSA and I want to get as far away from Google as technically possible.

The opinion of the EFF is certainly worthwhile, though they state that the information used in this particuar article is out of date:

https://www.eff.org/secure-messaging-scorecard

In terms of encryption and privacy, as I say, the EFF opinion or "scorecard" is worth looking at, but there are several other boxes that I'd want to have ticked.

Personally, I'd rule out any "app" that reqires users (ie. at both ends) to use their client software. I wish to make my own choice of client software.

Also, I'd rule a system that requires the use of a particular company's/project's/organisation's servers. There is no need for a "walled garden" approach either on client software or protocols and servers.

My preference would be for clients or plugins that can work with a variety of already extant protocols and communicate with a wide variety of different clients.

This, for me, is where OTR scores highly. Chat Secure on that list from the article uses OTR, as can Pidgin. Both of them are chat clients that can bring security to chat networks and contacts that you already use. They are also the only two that could communicate with me.

There seem to be a myriad of companies and "projects" that want to re-invent the wheel and get you onto their own exclusive solutions. Personally, I mistrust the motives of any of them and would stick to a widely used open protocol (well, XMPP really) and encourage users to add security using OTR or similar.

OTR -Off the record.

Edited to add: Of course, my own purpose in using end to end encrytion is privacy and opting out of mass surveillance, not real anonymity. If you require complete anonymity where your life and/or immediate well-being depends upon it, I'd suggest that you don't use Instant Messenger services at all.