Not connected, Your IP: 3.16.83.150
Sign in to follow this  
greenclaydog

Is Sweden really that great for internet privacy?

Sweden was previously home to The Pirate Bay. ONI, found little or no evidence of filtering in all aspects.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

Sweden was previously home to The Pirate Bay. ONI, found little or no evidence of filtering in all aspects.

True, but what makes Sweden better than say the Netherlands or Switzerland? Netherlands is in the nine eyes and Sweden is in the 14 eyes. Wouldn't that make countries such as Switzerland safer by definition? 

All countries should be treated as equally bad for Internet privacy. Don't let your self fool with calming words and opinions of this and that country. TNO.

I'm afraid we're all left to choosing an email service and VPN provider (and the VPN's servers, by extension) according to the best and latest information out there. After the revelations from Edward Snowden became public, it really hit home with me that it's up to each individual to find out the best way to resist and fight the NSA surveillance state. Yes, we must rely on services like AirVPN and the best security conscious email services out there. But it's still up to each person who really cares about this stuff to seek out and USE the best services we have available. And you HAVE to be willing to spend some money to do that. My opinion is that "free" doesn't mean crap when it comes to protecting your online privacy.

I don't know that there's a 100 percent guarantee of privacy and anonymity when you're online. But every internet user has a duty to resist and fight illegal government and corporate surveillance, and that requires us to use the best tools we have available. It matters, folks. It really, really matters. If we shrug and say that we've already lost the fight, or that we can't win because we're up against the most powerful government and corporate interests, then some form of "1984" becomes the kind of future we are leaving ourselves to.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

True, but what makes Sweden better than say the Netherlands or Switzerland? Netherlands is in the nine eyes and Sweden is in the 14 eyes. Wouldn't that make countries such as Switzerland safer by definition? 

I am not a firm believer in the "nine eyes" and "fourteen eyes" thing, but the UKUSA agreement is very real and poses an active threat. 9/14 eyes countries simply work together, but not for the purpose of spying on each other. Netherlands and Sweden are both good choices and as you can see, Air has a lot of servers in these countries because of that.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom