Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.219.166
Kepler_452b

Russia is blocking LinkedIn starting Thursday

Actually the reason behind this is quite good, but the approach is problematic.

There is a new law that requires companies to store personal data of Russian users within the country’s borders,

meaning local database and servers.

LinkedIn apparently failed to comply, which is why it will probably be temporary blocked.

From privacy perspective, if companies comply with the new Russian law it might be potentially better for the users,

since there will be less data stored about their activities overseas and thus will be less accessible to foreign adversaries.

Right now there is an unhealthy pattern where the majority of private data from all world's users is stored within the U.S.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The really unhealthy pattern is that companies collect and store huge amounts of data on their clients. Since it seems most for-profit companies will not self-limit their data greed, they should only be allowed to keep the absolute minimum amount of data on users. BTW, this was Snowden;s recommendation last night.

So much for being powered by the cloud....looks like LinkedIn will be opening an office in Russia!

My issue is this personal data is intended to be public or the person has the choice to make it public.  And it is a personal account.

My place of work has a policy that all work related material stays in our home country, so I get it for work.