Not connected, Your IP: 44.202.128.177
Weasel

Strange port showing in qbittorent

I have qbittorrent installed and I have it forwarded to a single port here, upon doing some reading I have noticed that there is a strange port showing along with the one I have assigned to it, is this normal or something I have to fix?  My AIR port is 25916, I have no clue what the 4433 is and if I should be concerned or not.

- qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface :: port: TCP_SSL/4433
- qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface :: port: TCP/25916
- qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: TCP_SSL/4433
- qBittorrent is successfully listening on interface 0.0.0.0 port: TCP/25916

I suppose port 4433 is the port the backend listens on so the front end GUI can connect.  but I don't know.

My qbittorrent listens on 4433 as well, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I also get this log message from qB 3.3.7 (latest) on W7. But after quite a bit of digging still not certain, and serena demands her dinner.

https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2558.0/prev_next,prev.html#new

has some history

It appears to be from a "zombie" feature from http://www.libtorrent.org for ssl security which has not "taken on a life" and was not supported and switched off in qB but has defaulted back to enabled - somewhere, sometime.

Horrors from C++ #ifdef #ifndef #include #define many macro maze ?

Probably hard or useless to exploit, but such is the way vulnerabilities can return from the dead and enter your house and penetrate your life.

Thanks for replying; I guess if you guys have it then it is ok.  It would be nice if one of the AIR guys commented on it just for those of us who have found it, but I would assume it is ok then since qbittorrent is their recommended p2p.

This place seems to work in an "open source style" with users in the forum helping where they think they can contribute, and the staff adding where they think appropriate, rather than a customer support -> escalation -> job scope style commercial organisation.

A bit more probing:

Also same log message using qB 3.3.7 on Linux Mint 18. Various Bittorrent clients and seedboxes etc use the libtorrent library, so this may be beyond qB.

Using Windows7 Resource Monitor / Listening Ports and starting qB several times shows listening on my forwarded port, but no sign of TCP 4433.

There is an adage of computer programmers - don't trust the comments, read the source code; don't trust the messages, read the source code and trace the execution. It seems probable that the listening code execution has been disabled, but higher level code still logs the message. A quick fix but ...

It should also be noted that the Eddie/OpenVPN port forwarding provides some firewall protection of listening ports on the client.

Peering at the libtorrent.org source build requires a C++, svn, gcc tool chain which I do not have set up, so although I used to program C++ in the 90s, I don't want to invest the effort for this. If you are concerned, perhaps get involved with the qBittorrent forum. I don't regard this as a "bug" at present, more an "ug" of untidyness.

You are much more tech savvy then I am, I am happy with your explanation.  I will check qb though, I never even thought of going there.

thanks.

Port 4433 belongs to libtorrent-rasterbar, the bittorrent library qBittorrent is based on. From its docs:

ssl_listen sets the listen port for SSL connections. If this is set to 0, no SSL listen port is opened. Otherwise a socket is opened on this port. This setting is only taken into account when opening the regular listen port, and won't re-open the listen socket simply by changing this setting.

It defaults to port 4433.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.