Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.174.55
thunderwood

Very Slow Speeds after Disconnecting VPN

I just signed up for AirVPN premium service last week. I have used it twice. The 2 times I've used it, I've noticed that shortly after disconnecting the vpn, my speeds drop to a crawl. 

Normally I get 80-100Mbps download speed when things are working as intended. After disconnecting from the VPN, I am lucky to get 10Mbps.

I've read through some forum topics and the only thing that comes close is that some users report no internet access at all. So resetting the firewall, checking DNS and other OS network related protocols does not seem relevant here.

At first I thought it was my ISP. But I have not had issues with them before. 

I have to do the following for my service to return to normal: 

Powercycle my ISP's modem. (unplug and replug) A simple refresh from their office does not work. 

Then powercycle my router. 

This poses 2 problems for me. I normally connect to 2 of my computers at home via Remote Desktop. If I powercycle my modem completely, my IP address usually changes at that point, which is annoying for me, and im having to port forward everything in my router again. Also, since I am on RDP, I cannot powercycle the modem as I am not at home. 

As I stated above, checking firewall and network protocols does not seem relevant here as the problem is with my entire network and not just 1 computer. Also the fact that a powercycle resolves this, it tells me that it is not an operating system issue. 

The only thing I have not tried is directly interfacing with my modem to check for settings that need to be changed. My modem is a Cisco DPQ3212 and I'm not even sure I can log into the interface to check settings. 

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bump...a bit late but since I have a similar problem, except my internet speed from ISP goes from gigabit to 100 mbps after disconnecting from vpn client until I do the powercycle on both my modem and router.
I am using airvpn service with OpenVPN client .

20 hours ago, notgund1 said:

Bump...a bit late but since I have a similar problem, except my internet speed from ISP goes from gigabit to 100 mbps after disconnecting from vpn client until I do the powercycle on both my modem and router.
I am using airvpn service with OpenVPN client .

Open your own thread, please. And give more info about your system, especially in the form of a support file from Eddie (Logs > lifebelt icon).
I've seen your problem once a while back; not sure if there was a solution. Maybe try a little searching? Also try a search engine with site:airvpn.org search term!

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.