Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.116.146
MiceAmongRats

Use of home network with one computer connected to AirVPN

Hello and hi!

This will most likely come across as a newbie question. It should in fact; as I am no expert at networks.

Let me present a hypothetical!

There are three computers on a home network. One is connected to AirVPN and handling precious information that goes in and out of the great internet. Let's call that computer 192.168.0.12

I am currently on a laptop 192.168.0.11 (Within the home network) and watching videos from the hard drive on the unit that is connected to the VPN (192.168.0.12)

192.168.0.11 can stil access the internet but I mainly use it for reading news and going on Facebook. However - I do this without my AirVPN connection.

Am I compromising my VPN security by using my network in this manner?
I was under the impression that whatever happens within my own network - stays there safely.
Then you know how it goes - I thought i read something somewhere that wasn't true.

Can some of you experts here ease my paranoia by clearing this up?

What exactly do you mean by "compromising my VPN security"? What's VPN security?

Here is how I understand your setup.

Connections between 192.168.0.12 and 192.168.0.11 happen on your local network/home network. the VPN is never used.

Connections going outside your local network on the 192.168.0.12, the VPN client is running, all connections to "the great internet" from this machine are over the VPN tunnel.

Connections going outside your local network on the 192.168.0.11, the VPN client is not running, all connections to "the great internet" from this machine are direct and do not use the VPN tunnel.

Let's call the x.11 computer Alice and the x.12 computer Bob, makes things easier.

Bob is connected to the internet and to the VPN.

Alice is connected to the internet and not to the VPN. She sits next to Bob.

Alice wants to watch a video on Bob's camera. What do you think will Bob do? He will hand his cam to Alice because she sits next to Bob. He will not go to Carol and give him a copy of the video (after this Carol would go to Alice because Alice wanted to see it) because it's time-consuming and generally not the best way. I hope it helps you connecting the dots.

You said there is a third computer in the network, though you only speak of two.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.