Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.159.198
mrcanoehead

Setup Question - Synology NAS/Plex/Asus Router

Apologies for the noob question, but I can't seem to find a definitive guide that will help me configure my network to allow Plex to be used remotely.

My setup:

Plex Server installed on a Synology NAS

Asus RT-AC87R

Can someone direct me to instructions for configuring the router so Plex can be accessed remotely? I assume that I'll need to do some port forwarding. 

Thanks, and apologies again for the noob question.

Apologies for the noob question, but I can't seem to find a definitive guide that will help me configure my network to allow Plex to be used remotely.

My setup:

Plex Server installed on a Synology NAS

Asus RT-AC87R

Can someone direct me to instructions for configuring the router so Plex can be accessed remotely? I assume that I'll need to do some port forwarding. 

Thanks, and apologies again for the noob question.

are you running openvpn on the router?

go558a83nk:

Thanks for the prompt rely. I intend to use OpenVPN on the router. However, I am open to alternate suggestions.

running on your router is fine but beware speed limitations of the relatively weak processor of routers as they crunch openvpn.

you'll need to forward ports on your router but must use SSH into the router to input iptable rules.  the web GUI port forwarding is for WAN to LAN, you need TUN to LAN.

search the forum for this as this is a question that gets asked literally at least once a week.  Trust me, with a little effort you can learn and figure this out without being spoon fed.

go558a83nk

Thanks for taking the time to provide advice. I've searched the forums and there seem to be multiple methods available. The router is always the best option of course. I'll see what I can find. I'm afraid that I might need to  be "spoon fed" the links to the appropriate information - I can't seem to locate it anywhere. There is nothing specific to my router and assumptions are made about the experience (or lack thereof) of the user.

Research seems to indicate that I don't need to use SSH to input the iptable rules. Apparently, I can add the rules in the router Network Services Filter Table. I think that all I need to do is add the IP address for the NAS on which the Plex is installed, define the port range (?), define the destination IP and port range (not sure what they would be - the AIRVPN server?), and select the TCP flavor. 

Has anyone had experience setting things up using the Network Services Filter Table on an Asus router? If so, can someone clarify what ports and IP addresses I should be using?

Thanks again.