Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.60.29

This may have been asked before, but I haven't seen it.

I’m using Eddie on a Mac, but I’m guessing it’s the same on Win.

The dock icon is blue when Eddie isn’t active. It changes to gray while connecting, then back to the same shade of blue when connected. It’s almost impossible to tell at a glance whether Eddie is active or not. Is there any way to change the icon to red when it’s down, then blue when it connects? That little black dot doesn’t quite do it.

That’s the only thing I preferred about Viscosity over Eddie… the icons changed to a distinct color depending on the state of the connection.

It’s a small thing, I know, but it could prevent a big mistake.

Posted ... (edited)

You can edit or replace all the dock icons shown for different connection states as well as status bar connection state indicator icons show in the upper right corner of the screen.

Assuming your AirVPN application is installed in your Applications folder:

In Finder press shift+command+G copy/paste "/Applications/AirVPN.app/Contents/Resources/" into the text field and press Go, the files you want to edit or replace are icon.png, icon_gray.png for the dock and for the status bar menubar_light_green, red, yellow.png or menubar_dark_green, red, yellow.png if you're using the dark mode.

Attached is a quick edit of the icon.png and menubar_light_green.png, these are rough but you should get the idea.

Edited ... by ultrahumanite

Thank you for the reply, but that doesn't really solve the problem (unless I'm misunderstanding something).

I don't just want to change the dock icon color ... I want it to change depending on the connection status. Red for disconnected and green for connected, or something like that. And it should be built-in to Eddie for everybody, not something we have to figure out individually.

The menu bar icon is too small to see what color is active, even with my glasses on. Why a black icon with just a tiny touch of color? Please make the entire menu bar icon the same color so it's easier to pick out in a sea of other black icons.

The whole point of my comment is to make Eddie more user-friendly, so we can see the connection status with just a quick glance at the dock or menu bar. That means both icons have to change color completely depending on the status.

Yes, you misunderstood. You can change the dock icon for all connection states i.e. connected and disconnected. The two files you'd need to change would be icon.png(connected) and icon_gray.png(disconnected).

Attached is a picture of what my status bar looks like, the green could icon is the eddy icon, it becomes red when disconnected, impossible to miss in my opinion. Also attached are two dock icons for the dock icon.png(connected) and icon_gray.png(disconnected).

Ah, thanks for the clarification and your examples!

I still think this feature should be built-in to Eddie so it will be a basic part of the app for everyone, but at least I can change mine now.

EDIT:

I changed the menubar Icons and that worked great, thanks, but the dock icons are something else (unless I'm missing something else  ).

I can change them, but there are only two states. Connecting is, of course, gray, but connected/disconnected still share the same icon.png. There need to be three different states for the dock icons... disconnected, connecting, and connected.

Still, being able to see status from the menu bar is an improvement, but the dock icon needs to be addressed, too.

Yes, I get the same behavior, but I wasn't being clear. I meant that quitting Eddie entirely, not just disconnecting, would default back to the same icon as when it's connected. But, for some reason, it doesn't do that.

When quit, it's a white cloud in a blue circle. When connecting, or disconnected, it's a red cloud, and when connected it's green, like your example. In any case, it works very well, and I appreciate your help.

Okay I understand what you're saying. But I don't understand why you would want the icon in the dock to look exactly the same at both times when you're connected to the VPN and routing your data thru it and when the application is not running at all and the VPN is off? I think it would be confusing and I thought that the whole idea for color coding connection states was an attempt to make it easier to identify if the VPN is on or off at a glance.

Currently we have:

red icon = application is running but you're not connected to the VPN

green icon = application is running and you're connected to the VPN

blue/white icon = application is not running and you're not connected to the VPN

You seem to want:

green icon = application is not running and you're not connected to the VPN

Do you see how it would be problematic to have the same indicator for being connected to the VPN and for the application not running at all?

Alternatively we could have this setup:

red icon = application is not running and you're not connected to the VPN

But that's not optimal in my opinion since we get less detailed information about the state of the application, i.e. running or not running.

Do you see how it would be problematic to have the same indicator for being connected to the VPN and for the application not running at all?

Yes, that's how Eddie behaves naturally, and it was the point of my original post. The blue/white icon was being used for both not running and connected.

When I read your comment and checked the resources, I thought replacing the blue/white icon.png would affect both states, but I tried it anyway and it works just like you said. Sorry for my ignorance, but your explanation did exactly what I hoped it would and now all is right with the world.

Thanks for your patience... I just bought you a digital beer! 

Nice icons! I would like that bright green (or even yellow!) icon for "connected" and the dark red for "not" in the system tray. Is there an equivalent place to swap icons in Windows 10?