Not connected, Your IP: 44.220.131.93
airvpnclient

Eddie 2.11beta - openvpn compiled for arm64?

I run openvpn on RPI servers and get my openvpn binaries compiled for arm64 as a result.  I read that the new 2.11beta client includes a custom compiled openvpn to obviate an annoying bug that I think I may have experienced, from time to time.  So, I am keen to use the new version, but don't really want to get into compiling from source.  Is it possible to run the openvpn linux binary as provided or does it have to be compiled against arm64?

From the original announcement:

PLEASE NOTE: Eddie 2.11beta package includes an OpenVPN version re-compiled by us from OpenVPN 2.3.11 source code with OpenSSL 1.0.2h for security reasons and to fix this bug: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/328

About this:

PLEASE NOTE: Eddie 2.11beta package includes an OpenVPN version re-compiled by us from OpenVPN 2.3.11 source code with OpenSSL 1.0.2h for security reasons and to fix this bug: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/328

The bugfix it's related to timeout when used with Tor. Probably don't affect you.

So, maybe you can use the .deb release on rPI

Or maybe more simple: install yourself openvpn package, mono runtime, download "Eddie - Portable Mono required", and delete the 'openvpn' and 'stunnel' bundled in tar.gz. If Eddie don't find it and found openvpn in the system, will use it.

Please report the results of your experiment, maybe a guide or an official package of Eddie for rPI maybe builded.

I don't use TOR, so not likely what I experience.  I do find that the least reliable part of my server is openvpn that, despite being set as an enabled service under SystemD tends to drop fairly frequently and sometimes even stay down requiring manual intervention.  So I was pleased about the prospect of a fix. 

Looks like I just need to set some kind of chron job to check and restart the client if it is borked.  For now I'll try using the openvpn keepalive directive and see if it makes a difference.

As for picking up the mantle of RPi tester/packager -- I might, but have too much on my plate now.  In fact, I'll make a note to consider it in the fall when things are more sane around here.

For now, I just use the configuration generator and the stock Debian 8 openvpn setup - plus a persistent netfilter service with rules generated from the Eddie client net lock.

I am a happy user and think AirVPN rocks by the way!

BTW - by "tends to drop fairly frequently"  I really mean - sometimes (which is expected given imperfect ISP connection).  The issue is when it stays down requiring manual intervention.

will do and rather than adding keepalive, I am going to comment out "persist-tun"  based on the discussion at:

https://airvpn.org/topic/16430-reconnection-issues-because-of-hostname-resolving/

Well that didn't work - my server is down and appears to be staying down -- I will have to manually restart the tunnel again.  Will opost logs.

I woukd like to put eddie on my Pinebook laptop, which has arm64 architecture. Can someone please provide steps how to sompile latest eddie for arm64?

I have Armbian wich is running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Thank you in advance!